Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Change of National Insignia

Stoppage Drill

The Germans were of the opinion that shape mattered more than colour with respect to aeroplane markings, and there was a chance that, in the confusion of aerial combat, the Eiserneskreuz marking could blur into looking something like the roundel used by the Allies.  Hence, in Spring 1918, it was decided to opt for the straight-sided Balkenkreuz - which looked nothing like a roundel.

I hope this helps.

Gareth

Edited by Dolphin

Thank you.

I anticipated the reason would be simply that it would be much easier to paint the straight sided cross.

Presumably the style was adopted for tank markings for reasons of consistency.

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/10/2016 at 21:44, Dolphin said:

The Germans were of the opinion that shape mattered more than colour with respect to aeroplane markings, and there was a chance that, in the confusion of aerial combat, the Eiserneskreuz marking could blur into looking something like the roundel used by the Allies.  Hence, in Spring 1918, it was decided to opt for the straight-sided Balkenkreuz - which looked nothing like a roundel.

Gareth

IDH2.jpgIt was for a similar reason that the marking on British planes was changed from a Union flag to a roundel (it could be mistaken for the German cross), but when did that happen?

Michael

Edited by Michael Pegum

A GHQ order of 11th December 1914 saw the RFC in the field adopt the French cockade (roundel) but with the colours reversed.  Union flags were however still to be seen on RFC aircraft well into the following year.   Some RNAS seaplanes in the Aegean theatre still carried large Union flags on their fuselage until as late as the early months of 1916, before adopting the red white blue cockade.

Edited by pete-c

That fits in with a report I came across, of an aeroplane of British pattern being brought down by British fire from the ground on 26th October, 1914. The occupants were Lt. C. G. Hosking and Capt. T. Crean. The report said "Our people thought it (the aeroplane) was German and shot it down".

Michael

2 hours ago, Michael Pegum said:

IDH2.jpgIt was for a similar reason that the marking on British planes was changed from a Union flag to a roundel (it could be mistaken for the German cross), but when did that happen?

Michael

Hi

Details on the British markings can be found in 'Windsock Fabric Special No.2 - WW1 British Aeroplane Colours and Markings' by  Bruce Robertson, pages 24 to 33.

There could be confusion even with 'cockades' and 'crosses' on aeroplanes.  Maj. Gen. Williams, commander of 30th Division, in a letter dated 3.12.17. mentions that on the 31st July, troops confused a German aircraft for a British one, stating:

"Owing to a low mist and the fact that the Iron Cross was in a circle many of our men undoubtedly thought it was one of our own machines."

Mike

• 2 years later...

Michael, This is a thread from a while ago, but I wonder if you can remember where you found that source about 'the friendly fire' killing of Hosking and Crean? In the Effects/Accounts files now available on Ancestry, both Hosking and Crean are reported 'killed in aeroplane accident'. I presume there would have been an inquiry. Crean's Personal File appears not to have survived, but Hosking's is WO 339/7672, which I haven't seen. Henshaw II has a few details.

Both were buried but their graves were lost and they are commemorated on the Arras Flying Services Memorial (two of only three for 1914).

Thanks Mike