Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Daniel Shaw 2/9/1915 not on SNWM or CWGC

neilston

Hi Folks 

From the Inverkip war memorial Renfrewshire  in Scotland we have a  Daniel Shaw commemorated - Daniel Died on Western Front 2/9/16, I cant find him listed on The Scottish national war memorial site or The CWGC site.

He is listed on the 1891 Inverkip census as a boarder, aged 7, born in Glasgow Living with the Campbell family at Inverkip Renfrewshire 4 miles southwest of Greenock.  I can find two entires for D Shaw on Scotlandspeople - SHAW DANIEL age 32  -date 1916 124/AF 157  on Service Returns, This is the correct year and age for our man. But i cant get my account to load on scotlands people since it has been updated- so cant read the Service returns ! 

Is this man one to listed on the "in-from the cold project ?"  

Cheers Matt

or

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/1552157/SHAW, DANIEL

Edit to add: The Register of Soldier's Effects gives his sole legatee as his mother, Mary Blair.

Daniel Shaw, 22917 Royal Scots, and Daniel Mathieson Shaw are the only two Daniel Shaw's who are listed in the G.R.O. index of War Deaths Army Other Ranks (1914 - 1921) who died in 1916.

Edited by HarryBrook

The service record for Daniel Shaw, Pte. 22917, Royal Scots, exists on ancestry.

It gives his address on enlistment as c/o Weir, 55 Main St., Uddington.

Occupation - clerk.

Age - 31 years 7 months.

Attested at Glasgow on 25 May 1915, joined at Glencorse on 27 May 1915.

His next of kin - mother, Mary, Queen's Hotel, Dundee.

It also lists his other service information such as date of embarkation, service period at home and at the front, and killed in action 4 July 1916, etc. 

Many thanks for the help so far folks

According to the census our man was age 7 living in Inverclyde  1891- So he would have been about 32 years old when he died, He was Born Glasgow.                                                   The Inverkip research team had problems with one or two lads on their memorial tracing a direct contact to the area, This is the case for Daniel Shaw- There is a site for the inverclyde area this lists Inverkip-http://www.inverclydeww1.org/memorials/inverkip-war-memorial

regards Matt