Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Saint Barts Hospital

barkalotloudly

Never seen this one before just purchased   Saint Bartholomew`s Hospital roll of honour, listing details of all the students killed 1914-1918 unfortunately no photographs! 

Any of them go into the RN Medical Service? 

no index but just opened the book at random and the details for John Hadwen are listed  rose to the rank of Surgeon Lieutenant - Commander died October 1918 attached to H M S Lancaster i am sure there are many more!

several others plus drownings on hospital ships 

Hadwen I know about - "Surgeon John (Jack) Hadwen, a Bart’s Hospital graduate who was surgeon to HMS LANCASTER in the Pacific when the influenza pandemic struck. Several hundred of the ship’s crew were on the sick list and eventually Hadwen himself contracted the disease, succumbing to pneumonia on 25 October. He is buried in San Diego, California. His father was Dr Walter Hadwen, after whom the Dr Hadwen Trust, a non-animal medical research charity, is named" - information at the Hadwen Trust page here.

The photograph shows him in October 1913.

Album Hadwen October 1913 small.jpg

You can download Guys Hospital reports for the First World War from Internet Archive. Includes Rolls of Honour and photographs.

St Bartholomews Hospital Journal 1913-1919 is available online http://www.meaningsofservice1914.qmul.ac.uk/medicine/st-bartholomews-hospital-journal

Also other material from the Hospital Archives

The same website also has Queen Mary University of London Archives and Royal London Hospital Archives, including the London Hospital Gazette 1914-1919 and 

East London's Roll of Honour 1914-1918 [East London College Community]

Meanings of Military Service 1914

http://www.meaningsofservice1914.qmul.ac.uk/home

"The meanings of military service projects utilises the First World War material held at the Queen Mary University of London, Royal London Hospital and St Bartholomew’s Hospital archives"

Cheers

Maureen

• 7 months later...
On 18/10/2016 at 16:25, barkalotloudly said:

Never seen this one before just purchased   Saint Bartholomew`s Hospital roll of honour, listing details of all the students killed 1914-1918 unfortunately no photographs! 

Sorry for the bother, but If you have it to hand, does it have an entry for Gordon Millar, Surgeon Probationer (tempy)?

scrub round that, I see it is only students killed, and Millar survived. Sorry!

On 19/10/2016 at 14:07, Maureene said:

St Bartholomews Hospital Journal 1913-1919 is available online http://www.meaningsofservice1914.qmul.ac.uk/medicine/st-bartholomews-hospital-journal

Maureen, I can't see whether the journal is searchable without opening each issue - any advice?

thanks!

sJ

Edited by seaJane

13 hours ago, seaJane said:

Maureen, I can't see whether the journal is searchable without opening each issue - any advice?

thanks!

sJ

sJ, sorry, I haven't looked at these  journals recently, so can't remember. However to be searchable would imply an underlying OCR program, with increased IT resources needed, so  I suspect it is more likely that the ability to search is absent.

Cheers

Maureen

Thanks Maureen.