Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gnr. James Motherwell 516 RFA

MelPack

This particular soldier is to have a new CWGC headstone dedicated tomorrow in the Glasgow (Sighthill) Cemetery.

In response to a media appeal, my colleague, Michelle Leonard, successfully traced living relatives of the soldier at very short notice. Unfortunately, although the relatives would like to pay their respects, they live too distant to be able to attend.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/14791949.Commission_seeks_relatives_of_fallen_soldier/

Michelle has asked if some additional information about James's service can be garnered.

His CWGC details areas follows:

Gunner
Service No:
Date of Death:
18/10/1916
Regiment/Service:
Royal Field Artillery

51st Div. Ammunition Col.
Grave Reference:
4/F. 154.
Cemetery:
GLASGOW (SIGHTHILL) CEMETERY

Additional Information:
Husband of Jane Motherwell.

He married Jane Dow Cameron on Christmas day 1915 and his occupation was recorded as coal salesman and a Gunner in the RFA residing at Rothesay.

James was entitled to the Victory and BWM campaign medals which, with his low TF number of 516, does suggest that he may not have taken the Imperial Service Obligation and only became eligible for service overseas with the implementation of the Military Service Act.

The LLT details of the 51st (Highlands) Division are here:

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/51st-highland-division/

Given that James died of wounds on 18 October 1916, it seems likely that he may have been wounded during the numerous pushes to take High Wood in August/September.

Any further information that can be provided would be much appreciated.

Edited by MelPack

He attested 13/11/1915, claiming no previous service. Went to France 4/4/1916.

He died of acute septic peritontis at 10.28pm on 18/10/1916. He had been admitted to 2/1st Highland Field Ambulance with scarlet fever 12/7/1916, then 12th and 25th Sty. Hospitals, before being returned to Cambuslang War Hospital 3/9/1916.

Papers on FMP - http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f007397352%2f00055&parentid=gbm%2fwo363-4%2f7397352%2f4%2f55&highlights=""

Are they moving all the Headstones from Eastwood back to Sighthill?We took a photograph of his headstone two weeks ago in Eastwood Cemetery and now it appears to be going back to Sighthill where it was moved from.

Mary

Edited by mysie

Cheers IPT - appreciated.

Mysie - if you are local then I would check for details. From what i understand from Michelle is that Sighthill Cemetery has had a makeover and that the jungle has been cleared to allow the restoration of the graves to take place.

Thanks IPT - I'm really grateful for the new information and service papers.  His family were hoping some survived so they'll be very happy to see that.

Mysie that's very interesting; I was not aware that he had a gravestone at Eastwood cemetery in the interim (although the interim has been the last 60 years by all accounts!)  The Evening Times article states that while there has been no gravestone at Sighthill the men have been commemorated in Dalziel cemetery.  I presume they are moving all the headstones back to Sighthill then as they erecting 85 of them there in the next month. Is there any chance you could send me the photograph you took? I'll send you a PM.

Thanks,

Michelle

Edited by Michelle79

Here is a new article on the restoration of the 85 gravestones; it seems to have more accurate information about Eastwood cemetery as well:

https://www.sundaypost.com/news/gravestones-fallen-soldiers-returned-original-resting-place-sighthill-cemetery/

This makes it clear these are brand new headstones that have been constructed so the old ones are clearly not being moved back Mysie but I presume they will be removed form Eastwood.

Edit:

Then again here is another new article which once again states it was Dalziel Cemetery:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-37677084

Edited by Michelle79

The ones that were in Dalziel were moved to and still are in Motherwell Airbles Cemetery ,well they were two weeks ago.

Mary

Some of the stones at Eastwood came from a cemetery in Hutchison in the Gorbals ,i think it was called the Southern Necropolis but it had other names as well. It was also private owned at one time and fell into disrepair like Sighthill.

Mary.

Thanks for the information Mysie - greatly appreciated.

I attended the installation of James' gravestone today on behalf of the family and it was very moving to see it first hand.

Here are a few photographs:

2016-10-18%2011.12.10.jpg2016-10-18%2011.15.26.jpg2016-10-18%2011.18.53.jpg

2016-10-18%2011.36.43.jpg

2016-10-18%2015.17.21.jpg

in an unexpected twist I found out that James is not in the grave by himself but his father, another James Motherwell, is also buried there and a stone paid for by the staff and workers of the tool-making company he worked for survives for him.  He died in 1919 less than 3 years after his son.

2016-10-18%2011.35.29.jpg

Cracking pictures Michelle , i will leave it for a couple of weeks until a few more are up then go through and see them.

Mary.

Went into Sighthill Cemetery today got a nice schock to see almost all the Headstones that had been moved to Eastwood have been erected back on the actual grave sites.Managed to photograph 12 of them as the rest have still to be painted. Wonder what they will do with the old stones that are in Eastwood cemetery ?

Mary

Motherwell 

James 

1916 Oct 18th

Birth Place:

Glasgow

Enlistment Place:

Rothesay

Gunner 

died at Home   of disease 

Glasgow 

Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery 

1st Highland Bde

Wife Jane 

Buried  in Glasgow Sighthill Grave Ref 4/F 154.- stone is in Eastwood 

They are going to erect the Headstones that were moved from the South Necropolis in the Gorbals to Eastwood back into the Southern Necropolis ,work begins this week.

Mary.