Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

S. NURSE A.A. HARRIS

philzam2

Hi all,

I have a BWM named to S. NURSE A.A. HARRIS.  Could I get any assistace regarding:

1) what the letter 'S' before the word NURSE stand for? 

2)Full name of A.A. Harris?

3) history of the person (where assigned-what year/ did she survive the war, etc.)

Thank you in advance

Have you followed the suggested link "Researching a Soldier" on "The Long Long Trail" at the top of the page? It gives you instructions on how to find the info you're looking for.

Sam

Let's start with the easy bit, she was a Staff Nurse.

Tomo

Alice Annie Harris was a Staff Nurse. There are far too many births registered to be able to confidently choose the right one, unfortunately

The U.K. and Ireland Nursing Register (on ancestry) gives the address of Alice Annie Harris in 1919 as Primrose Cottage, Broad Clyst, Exeter. She received her nursing certificate in 1915.

It seems there were 2 threads that have now been merged and I answered the one with no responses. It now looks a little bit ridiculous :(

A medal roll to A A Harris exists on ancestry for the BWM & Vict. She was QAIMNSR and there is a TNA399 record to Alice Harris QAIMNSR. Both medals issued 20/3/1922 and no sign of her demise during war.

I may be able to check the WO399 later but apart from checking her full name, rank and Exeter location it may be difficult to conclusively say the medal and the WO399 belong to the same person.

Then you could buy the record for £3.45  If there's enough evidence to say they are one and the same person. That should give her history sheet.

TEW

• Admin
2 hours ago, Bardess said:

It seems there were 2 threads that have now been merged and I answered the one with no responses. It now looks a little bit ridiculous :(

I didn't do the merge but the combined thread reads perfectly well to me. You were the first to post her name.

The link in post#9 I put up is for Alice Annie Harris of Primrose Cottage, Broadclyst, Exeter. 29 years old on 8/3/1920.

Her record shows she suffered shock after being torpedoed in 1917 but service continues to Oct 1919. The only vessel named in the record is the Glenart Castle but this was torpedoed in 1918, the same vessel struck a mine in 1917 so maybe the event or the date is muddled.

Full list of UK & Overseas units are given in the record. Nothing that specifically links her to the medal but there are no other A  A Harris listed.

TEW

[superfluous post deleted, sorry]

Edited by seaJane