Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Records Ancestry

Simon_Fielding

New Records to Ancestry - Court Martial original document images cheekily held on fold3 their sister site... 

New and Updated

http://www.ancestry.co.uk/cs/recent-collections

Unfortunately to view these records you need to have an additional subscription to Fold3, a military records database that is owned by Ancestry.

When Ancestry bought this database a few years ago it consisted of mainly US military records going back to the Revolutionary War. They have now started adding British & Commonwealth records to it and some of them seem to be exclusive to Fold3 rather than including them in the Ancestry subscription.

I think if you are an Ancestry subscriber you can get a 50% discount on Fold3 membership.

Mick.

I don't have Ancestry, so I can't check it out. However, given that these databases appear in the  Ancestry Card Catalog, I would think it could be classified as deceptive, if in fact they aren't part of Ancestry.

Cheers

Maureen

I am not sure that I would pay an additional subscription for Fold3 to the already hefty Ancestry records that I pay and especially not with the quality of the indexing that Ancestry is (in)famous for.

The good news is that the UK Military deserters consist of the completely accessible Police Gazette - the bad news is that the period for 1902-1920 has yet to be uploaded.

1 hour ago, MelPack said:

I am not sure that I would pay an additional subscription for Fold3 to the already hefty Ancestry records that I pay and especially not with the quality of the indexing that Ancestry is (in)famous for.

They are certainly being clever - offering the transcription at the same time as knowing that many will want to consult the original image.

Craig

Hi

One thing they did not say on that rootschat post is all records that are open at NAA are free to view from there anyway, you don't need a Fold3 subscription to look at them. Does not help with other records though!

regards

Robert

Some of the records above are available elsewhere

British Army Lists are available on the National Library of Scotland website for free, until the end of WW1, and for WW2, with a Search facility,

I think Royal Air Force Muster Roll, 1918 and British Jewry Roll of Honour, 1914-1918  are available on findmypast. Possibly also some of the others are available on findmypast.

Cheers

Maureen

RAF Muster Rolls 1918 available on FMP I used it last night.

Cheers Roger.