Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/5th Battalion East Surrey Regiment and 2/6th King's Liverpool Regiment

morrisc8

Hi All,

I wonder if you can help, I am Looking for info on the 2/5th Battalion  East Surrey Regiment from 14th October to 26th July 1917, and the  2/6th King's Liverpool Regiment, the ESR  were training in Kent and were at some of the camps there. 

Some of the places they were at , Wingham, Sandwich, Gore Street Thanet., Pouces Farm and then to Westgate.

Keith

Here are a few photos that i have made from the original negs that i have, all were taken by Pvt R.T.S.Neal , there are 53 photos that he took on training

Reginald Thomas Sisson Neale Army service record.   Joined East Surrey Regiment 14th October 1916 as a private then as a L/Cpl, his training was in Kent  with the 2/5th Battalion  East Surrey Regiment  He was Sent to France 15th September 1917. Home from France 6th November 1917 Sent to Farnborough 22nd November 1917 , then went to Cambridge to join Cadet Battalion OTC, Had a  Commision  as 2nd Lieutenant 1st May 1918 Sent to India 29th July 1918, joined the Indian Army.

.2.5th Battalion East Surrey Regimemnt 1917 photo L. Cpl.  kent .jpg2.5th Battalion East Surrey Regimemnt 1917 photo at rest.  kent .jpg2.5th Battalion East Surrey Regimemnt 1917 photo 2  at rest .  kent .jpg2.5th Battalion East Surrey Regimemnt 1917 photo . Div  Guard  13  7 1917. kent  ww1 tents .jpg

Edited by morrisc8

• 4 weeks later...

More info on him. 
(WO 339/135698) at the National Archives for Reginald Thomas Neale which confirms that it is the man shown in the photographs and provides the following information:

From WO 339/135698, file for Reginald Thomas Neale, no.88498

Born 8/1/89 in Kensington. 

Father: Thomas Sisson Neale, d.1902; Grandfather and next of kin: Lt Col Sisson Watts Neale
Attended Marlborough College
Became planter in Ceylon.

Attested 10/12/15; mobilised 14/2/16; to 2/5th East Surrey Regiment 21 Oct 1916; Lance Corporal 8/2/17; transferred to 12th ESR as private, 15/9/17; joined 2/6th King's Liverpool Regiment in France as private, 19/9/17; unpaid Lance Corporal, 13/10/17.

Joined Office Cadet Battalion in England, 7/12/17, for training.

Applied to join Indian Army Reserve of Officers, Apr 1918, claiming 'Knowledge of Tamil. Have spent 7 years in Ceylon as tea planter. Am thoroughly experienced in the handling of natives and understand them fully.

May 1918, appointed probationer for Indian Army Reserve of Officers. Embarked for India, 29/7/18

Now just need to find out any info on him in 2/6th King's Liverpool Regiment in France as private, 19/9/17; unpaid Lance Corporal, 13/10/17.
Keith

Hi Kieth,

Don't know if your interested but 124 O/R joined the 2/7th KLR on 19/09/1917. They were from 2/5th ESR also. I have their names and service numbers and a number of them have surviving records.

Cheers

Paul

Also in September, 1917 a large draft of men from the 2/6th ESR were transferred to the 2/9th King's Liverpool Regiment.

This block of men was posted to TF Depot 03/02/17. Posted to 2/6th East Surrey Regt. 06/02/17. Posted to 13th Bn. East Surrey Regt 15/09/17 but on arrival in France was transferred to 2/9th KLR 19/09/17. Joined 2/9 KLR "in the field" 22/09/17.

Thank`s Paul , that would be great to see, and thanks to Ken Lees for the info.

I do have a few other names that were with the negs but are very hard to read. Sgt Willson, CQMS Ward, ? Branden ? and number 8 platoon.

I will try to downsize some more of the photos as they are high res.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 11/22/2016 at 15:15, Ken Lees said:

Also in September, 1917 a large draft of men from the 2/6th ESR were transferred to the 2/9th King's Liverpool Regiment.

This block of men was posted to TF Depot 03/02/17. Posted to 2/6th East Surrey Regt. 06/02/17. Posted to 13th Bn. East Surrey Regt 15/09/17 but on arrival in France was transferred to 2/9th KLR 19/09/17. Joined 2/9 KLR "in the field" 22/09/17.

I hope that you don't mind my intrusion in this thread but my Grandfather (Frank Norman Emery) was amongst that draft. I would be interested to know why this transfer took place - was it a common occurrence in those 'dark' times?

I'm trying to find out a little more about his location and movements 'in the field' prior to a visit to Ypres in a couple of months.

Thanks for any help.

GBM-WO363-4-007291342-00380.jpg

It was usually because certain battalions were short of men and the next draft to arrive were allocated as needed. For that reason, the man's original battalion often doesn't show on the Medal Index Card. 

Interestingly your Grandfather had something of a near miss with the 13th East Surrey Regiment. This battalion was in action at Bourlon Wood in December that year with heavy casualties and was then effectively annihilated on 9/4/1918 at Estaires after the collapse of the Portuguese. So great were the losses it saw no further action and was disbanded. My Great Uncle joined them on arrival in France with a draft of men from Middx training battalions on 22/9/17 most of whom, like him, were killed on 9th April.

regards

Richard

2 hours ago, ADIRU777 said:

I'm really sorry that your Great Uncle did not survive. The hands of fate meant that I am here now...

Fortunately his brother, my grandfather, survived the trenches  so I know what you mean. My dad was born in 1919....

Hi Keith,

Not sure if I sent you this along with other research I have on these Neale family members if not here you are. I have managed to reunite some of this families medals, WW1 Bino's and other paperwork, but as you know it was a huge Auction which got split  into many auctions over a period of time.

Regards, Chris.

RT Neale  WW1 Bino's .jpg

1.jpg

• 3 months later...

There is an R.T. Neale mentioned in the Nominal Roll in "The History of the 2/6th (Rifle ) Battalion, the Kings Liverpool Regiment. Copy attached

P.B.

( Sorry no idea why the picture is on its side)

IMG_0381.JPG

Edited by pbrydon

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 22/11/2016 at 03:48, spud4210 said:

Hi Kieth,

Don't know if your interested but 124 O/R joined the 2/7th KLR on 19/09/1917. They were from 2/5th ESR also. I have their names and service numbers and a number of them have surviving records.

Cheers

Paul

Hi all 

I know this thread is a few years old  - I have a man I think may have been one of  the men transferred from the 2/5th ESR to the 2/7th KLR  - no service record for him but name Edward Foss KLR number 88425. 

Any tips much appreciated. 

James 

Hi James,

Edward Thomas Foss 88425 was originally given the service No 300128 before he transferred to the 2/7th KLR. When he was posted he was renumbered 88425. He was in 'C' company wounded and evacuated 15/11/1917. Wounds list Liverpool Post 11/12/1917, lived in Leicester. In my records I have him with 1/5 Lanc Fusiliers also.

That's all I have

Cheers

Paul