Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KeithC

I am enquiring and searching on behalf of a friend a relative of Charles Burman details as below off the Lincolnshire Roll of Honour.

Private 13475. 2nd Battalion, Lincolnshire Regiment. Killed in action 31st January 1916. Born Metheringham Fen, enlisted Sleaford and resident Metheringham Fen, Lincs. Commemorated RUE-PETILLON MILITARY CEMETERY, Fleurbaix. II.G.18

I just wondered if any one has a photo of his headstone and indeed any other information of his whereabouts at the time of his death. Thank you.

For a photograph of the headstone you may be interested in the War Graves Photographic Project here.

For details of his whereabouts in January 1916, you can download for a small fee the war diary at the National Archives here.

Before doing that, you might have luck by re-posting with a specific 2nd Lincolnshires heading to attract Lincs experts..

Mike

As an aside

His full name  was

Charles Creasey Burman

His twin brother James Creasey Burman  shared his middle name

Charles's father Frederick was the legatee of his effects 

Regards Ray

Morning,

The War Diary records,

30 January 1916 - The battalion relieved the 2nd Royal Berkshire Regiment in the trenches.

31 January 1916 - La Cordonnerie.

In trenches. Our artillery bombarded the German trenches. They retaliated about the head of Cellar Farm Avenue on portions of the trench held by X and Y Companies. 1 killed, 2 wounded.

Regards,

Graeme

Here you are

burman.JPG

Regards Ray

Edit 

I assume Charles is a relative

His mothers maiden name being Creasey  (Sarah Burham nee Creasey)

Edited by RaySearching