Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Greater Accrington Heroes

Retlaw

Got my books back from the binders, wot with the special paper and printing , that lot comes out at near £200, took a ream of paper. Over 14000 men and women, plus over 2500 pictures of them, started this researching this back in 1990 with just 127 pages of names and now its three volumes. I'm right chuffed wit result.

Greater Acc Heroes-1. .JPG

Well done Retlaw, a work to be proud of !

17 hours ago, IPT said:

Retlaw enod llew.

IPT

Takes me back to teenage does your script ! Two old f**** used to speak what I thought was gobbledy-gook until one day I turned over dlo yob in my mind, and twigged !!

Well done, at least all that research now exists in print.

Out of curiosity, how does 14,000 men equate to the 1914 male population of Accrington?

I see the relationship between your forum name and the hardest densest bricks..... nori...

On 15/10/2016 at 21:42, KevinBattle said:

Well done, at least all that research now exists in print.

Out of curiosity, how does 14,000 men equate to the 1914 male population of Accrington?

I see the relationship between your forum name and the hardest densest bricks..... nori...

Those 14000 and odd  are from Greater Accrington as the area was known back then, its now known as Hyndburn, Accrington, Bethorn, Church, Clayton, Gt Harwood, Knuzden, Rishton, and Ossy. Over 5000 of the came from Accrington, some idiot newspaper once asked for a list of names, they intende to produce a map with pins in for each man or woman, I worked it out it ould need to be at least 4 ft square to be legible, and you wouldn't get that in a chip wrapper, told em where to go.

Edited by Retlaw