Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain Keegan/Keigan/Kiegan the man who found Werner Voss his body

Regulus 1

Good evening !

It is said that at the time he was a Lieutenant with the gunners of the 174th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, part of the 58th Division and later became a captain and was in service in Egypt.

As we know Werner Voss, crashed close to Plum Farm, north of the Frezenberg and south of St Julien on 23 September 1917 and found the next day by Keegan or Keigan or Kiegan.

However ! 58th Division was a part of the XVIII Corps and were to the north of St Julien if i'm not mistaken in this period of time ?  So what would Keegan been doing there so far to the south ? 

9 (Scottish) Division was at Frezenberg I think on that moment with 55 Division to the north of them and both were part of British V Corps. So it would be more logical if the officer belonged to one of these divisions ?

As far as I know there never was identified a captain with this name in the RFA serving in that area as well.  Or do I have it wrong ?

Any help on this matter is appreciated !

Best regards,

Johan

14 minutes ago, Regulus 1 said:

Good evening !

It is said that at the time he was a Lieutenant with the gunners of the 174th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery, part of the 58th Division and later became a captain and was in service in Egypt.

As we know Werner Voss, crashed close to Plum Farm, north of the Frezenberg and south of St Julien on 23 September 1917 and found the next day by Keegan or Keigan or Kiegan.

However ! 58th Division was a part of the XVIII Corps and were to the north of St Julien if i'm not mistaken in this period of time ?  So what would Keegan been doing there so far to the south ? 

9 (Scottish) Division was at Frezenberg I think on that moment with 55 Division to the north of them and both were part of British V Corps. So it would be more logical if the officer belonged to one of these divisions ?

As far as I know there never was identified a captain with this name in the RFA serving in that area as well.  Or do I have it wrong ?

Any help on this matter is appreciated !

Best regards,

Johan

Hi Johan,

I am no expert, but on checking the October 1917 Army List I can find no officer with the name Keegan, Keigan or Kiegan serving in the RFA.

I hope that this helps?

Robert

Hi Robert,

It seems that this already a very good start ! I'm convinced that the story is not correct as we know it, but I may be wrong of course. 
Thank you very much !

Johan

It all started with this text.  Meanwhile, thanks to one of the forum members we know that CF Gordon was the real thing !

Quote :

"It concerns a message of the 5th Brigade of the Royal Flying Corps to the headquarters of the Royal Flying Corps, dated from 6 June 1918 :  "News about the burial of Werner Voss was taken from a written source, a letter from an English prisoner of war which was in the possession of the man in Germany.

“Under the reference of your CFRC 2018/2 G of the second of this month on Lieutenant Voss, he was, after a long and brave and daring flight shot down and crashed near the Frezenberg and was buried there where he fell, at Sheet 28.C.G.8.3.

At the time of his death it was completely impossible to recuperate the body, as the location named here before, was very close to the front and very unhealthy.

The officer who buried him, Lieutenant (now Captain) Keegan has moved since then to Egypt.

It should be possible to get a photo from his grave, when we are able to find it, as the front is now much further away.

He was buried without a sarcophage and without military honors’, in just the same way as all the soldiers were buried at the end of the battle.

Signed C.F. Gordon, Captain

Royal Flying Corps in the field
Brigademajor of the... Brigade"

So it seems the search continues and the question remains, can we find a Lt or Captain Keegan/Keigan/Kiegan that may have been active in the area north of Frezenberg and south of St Julien that may not have been a member of the RFA but from another unit ?

Thanks !

Johan

Old Owl,

Other variants to check would be Keagan & Keogan.

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
Add info

28 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

Old Owl,

Other variants to check would be Keagan & Keogan.

Regards,

JMB

Only one officer with the surname Keogan in the ASC and no officer with the name Keagan in any unit.

Robert

There is actually a Chaplain by the name of Keegan; Reverend Hugh Keegan MC

Although Voss may not have been buried with military honours, it does not necessarily mean that he was buried without service.

I realise that this doesn't address the issue of the rank of the alleged officer.

Phil

I think that if this topic were d posted under Keegan,  RA with  details of Lt/Capt Keegan in the Units sub-forum, then Rflory who is very hot with the RA may well pick it up.

If 'Keegan'cannot be identified, there may well be a transcription error (Keenan ?).

Regards,

JMB

Thank you very much for all your helpful reactions on the matter !

Best regards,

Johan