Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Only Connect - A connection I'd not made

Alan24

I've had this on my mind for a while...

In the last series of Only Connect on BBC2, in the 'What Come Fourth Round' we had 1st clue...

4th Rawlinson - I did recognise immediately that this was a WW1 question.

The other clues being, I think, 3rd Allenby and 2nd Plumer and the answer being 1st Haig.

Victoria then went on to link the 1st, 2nd, 3rd 4th Armies to New Armies K1 K2 K3 & K4.

her comment went something like "...1st 2nd 3rd Armies, you know, K1 K2 K3 etc."

I hadn't previously made the connection that the British 4th Army was the same thing as K4.

I trust this is all correct?

Alan.

Nice idea, and Rawly's 4th Army did have a lot of Kitchener men in it, but 1st and 2nd Armies were already formed by the end of 1914, of the Regular and TF units available, and 3rd followed in 1915, with much the same make-up, so the estimable Mrs Coren-Mitchell is a bit off-target. 

17 minutes ago, Alan24 said:

I hadn't previously made the connection that the British 4th Army was the same thing as K4.

It wasn't. (using your example, the 4th Army contained divisions from K1, K2, K3, K4(K5) and K6(K5) amongst other units )

Dave

Edited by CROONAERT

Whilst I fully agree with Dave, I take issue with Mr Granger. Ms Coren-Mitchell is never off-target. I wouldn't hear a word against her. Fine woman.

I suspect the researchers let her down. Probably GW history is an area of which Ms C-M is blissfully unaware.

I wonder if she needs some tuition ...

Thanks guys. Still learning but thought it wasn't quite right.

Thanks for clarification.

Alan