Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Useful (free) National Archive downloads

Skipman

There seem to be many useful records available to download free from the National Archives. Might it be worth putting any we find in one thread. The improvement in the search function makes it easier to find things now.

Feel free to add any more you might find.

For example, there is this available to download free

WO-WY Admiralty:Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services. Index books for 1913-1923. ADM 188.W1-WY. WO-WY ADM 188/1177/2

70.5 MB (split into two parts) No doubt useful to some, it gives name, official number, year of birth, year of entry into service, and town of birth.

2yosk6u.jpg

Mike

WO 338 War Office: Officers' Services, First World War, Index to Long Number Papers.

This is an old favourite, although since they improved the indexing of the actual service records in WO 339 and WO 374, I find that I use it far less these days.

Phil

Everything I've checked (mostly rifles related) in WO100 is free.

It covers int. al. the IGSM, the QSA and KSA.  Very handy for checking pre- and post-War careers of Regulars.

Thanks for this Mike;another Skipster superfind. I've got a mate whose dad was at Jutland but whose sister lashed all their dad's records from the time into a (I hestitate to say it) skip. He is one of the over 70's group I help out with and the rest of the gang's dads were in the army, we've done a lot of research on them but nothing on Richie's dad. Which is a long winded way of saying item 1 will come in very handy.

Pete.

• 1 month later...

Also

CAB 63

1908-1944 War Cabinet and Cabinet Office: Lord Hankey: Papers

This series consists of correspondence and papers accumulated by Lord Hankey during his career in public service which ended in 1942, although two files extend past this date.

The papers include memoranda and reports (largely prepared by Hankey) prepared for ministers and the Cabinet some of which became Cabinet papers, and correspondence; his engagement diaries 1926 to 1937; accounts of his visit to Dominion countries (South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and Canada) 1934 to 1935 and his discussions there on matters of defence; correspondence and papers relating to his work in government during the Second World War including, in particular, a number concerning defence, oil supplies, the fall of the Netherlands, Belgium and France, and supplies to the Allies; and some private and personal correspondence.

PLEASE NOTE: Records within this series are available to download free of charge as part of the Digital Microfilm project.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...