Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Villers Bretonneux - Photos

Ken Lees

I was at the Australian National Memorial, Villers Bretonneux earlier this week. The skies darkened as the rain approached and I grabbed these snaps with my phone camera.

IMG_20161010_163431a.jpg

IMG_20161010_162356a.jpg

IMG_20161010_141611a.jpg

IMG_20161010_141436a.jpg

IMG_20161010_141451a.jpg

Outstanding photographs Ken; timing is so important as in so many walks of life. Fortunately I've never been soaked on the battlefield so I've never had the opportunity to get pre-downpour shots like these. I hope you were able to dodge the subsequent rainfall.

Pete.

Thanks Ken.

Superlative, and most welcome. 

Very much better than i have of the location. May I copy them Pal? Last occasion there i  was a bit ill and took no photo's.

Cheers Ken. 

• Admin

Excellent, many thanks for posting them, must have been an amazing downpour! 

Michelle 

1 hour ago, 17107BM said:

Thanks Ken.

Superlative, and most welcome. 

Very much better than i have of the location. May I copy them Pal? Last occasion there i  was a bit ill and took no photo's.

Cheers Ken. 

Help yourself. :)

Lovely use of light.

Thank you Ken.  These pics took me back to when I was at Le Hamel under a similar sky back in 2010.  Back then all I got was wet.

Jonathan

• 1 month later...

Hi Ken: I presume these pictures were taken in 2016.   No year date on posts can be annoying.   Your phone camera appears to be high quality, but probably average with today's technology.    But the camera can only capture what the eye wants it to capture for the most part.    I'm not a very good painter, but your sense of beauty and composition tells me you probably would enjoy putting paint and brush to canvas.  I think a lot of painters wish they could accomplish these scenes with paint or colored pencil.   Have you noticed all replies were positive.

Cheers

Momsirish

1 hour ago, momsirish said:

Hi Ken: I presume these pictures were taken in 2016.   No year date on posts can be annoying.  

Posts are all dated - only the current year does not show a year. Come January these posts will be seen as from November 2016.

Great photos.  It is my ONLY bucket list item to be at Villers for ANZAC DAY, 2018. 100th anniversary of the recapture of the town.  Have already booked the tour and the rest of the trip is in planning.  Hope I am able to take a series of shots as meaningful.

8 hours ago, aussiesoldier said:

Great photos.  It is my ONLY bucket list item to be at Villers for ANZAC DAY, 2018. 100th anniversary of the recapture of the town.  Have already booked the tour and the rest of the trip is in planning.  Hope I am able to take a series of shots as meaningful.

Have you booked an organised tour?

Yes Ken, with Mat McLachlan's Battlefield Tours - told by people who have  done it that it is great.  I know that bookings are very tight but got on to that beginning of last year.  Had hoped to take my son, but he is unavailable.

Thanx

4 hours ago, aussiesoldier said:

Yes Ken, with Mat McLachlan's Battlefield Tours - told by people who have  done it that it is great.  I know that bookings are very tight but got on to that beginning of last year.  Had hoped to take my son, but he is unavailable.

Thanx

You will have a great time with McLachlan's. They are very well organised. I may even be your guide!

Ken,

I have booked 18 - 27 April, 2018.  If that's your group, we can talk in person. The battle of  Villers Bretonneux  has been a favourite of mine, alongside Beersheva.

But to attend Anzac Day Dawn Service and finish with Menin Gate on the same day is something I can't wait to experience.

Till then.

George