Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aboriginals

Joris Ryckeboer

Hello!

This is a translated résumé of an article , published today in my local newspaper (Het Laatste Nieuws, edition Kortrijk&Ieper). Yesterday, it was also on our local TV-channel WTV.

Commemoration at Harelbeke New British Cemetery.

Teenagers from Mount Baker High SChool (Southern Australia) were saturday at Harelbeke. They are at Ieper with a school project about the first World War.

On December 4 2004 Am, they commemorated RUFUS RIGNEY.

This 17 year old soldier from the Ngarrindjeri-tribe, was wounded during the battle at Passendale on October 12 1917. Wounded, he became a prisoner of war and was hospitalised at the German Reserve Feldlazerett, Izegem. There he died on October 16 1917. The Germans buried him at the Ehrenfriedhof III (Izegem). Rufus was reburied besides his pals from his unit (32/48th Bn) at New British Cemetery, early '20.

The students held a moving ceremony. Donna Handke read a text, wreaths were laid, the Last Post, the Australian Anthem and original Aboriginal tribe music was played.

Family of Rufus Rigney, native Point Mcleay South Australia, from the Ngarrindjeri-tribe, asked the students to put some earth from where Rufus lived at his resting-place. The earth came from the Cooronigriver. They also took some earth of his grave to hand it over at his family. As this was forbidden (to import earth to Australia), teacher Julie Reece made a crusade to change this law. Now they have the permission to do it.

Cyril Rigney, Rufus'brother died also during WW I. He's missing and therefor, there is on Wednesday December 8 a special Last Post at the Meningate.

Rufus Rigney CWGC-link:

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...casualty=486426

Cyril Rigney CWGC-link:

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/casualty_...asualty=1600714

Now my questions:

-What is known about aboriginals during the First World War?

-Where they engaged because of special skills?

-The journalist stated in his article; 70 soldiers of aboriginal-tribe (good translation?), died during the whole conflict.

-CWGC: Rufus Rigney=19 years??? Is this correct? Is there more know about the Rigneys?

-Is there a special link with this school that made them chose him?

Chris, I hope this is the right place to post this topic?

Grtz from Flanders!

Joris

-What is known about aboriginals during the First World War?

-Where they engaged because of special skills?

-The journalist stated in his article; 70 soldiers of aboriginal-tribe (good translation?), died during the whole conflict.

-CWGC: Rufus Rigney=19 years??? Is this correct? Is there more know about the Rigneys?

-Is there a special link with this school that made them chose him?

Joris,

I had the honour to be there. So i could inform myself...

First question:

I just know they "normaly" weren't allowed to fight, because the had no citizen rights, they were not commonwealth. Some hoped they would get rights after the war, as veterans. This never happend...

Second:

Certainly not Gordon Rufus Rigney, he first wasn't accepted. But he lied about his age + his origin, so that he could join up.

Third:

There is no official list who is exactly, it is a estimation.

Forth: He was only 16 when he joined up, and he died age 17, he lied about his age.

Fift:

The school studied the tribe and Donna discovered the story of 16 aboriginals who died in WW1 of that tribe. Only 1 had a CWGC grave: Rufus.

more info:

Ngarrindjeri aboriginals are from Point Mc Leay (South Australia).

His brother Cyril also joined the same year and was also killed.

His name is on the menin gate and he will be remembered on 8 decemlber 2004, I will be there.

I hope this helped,

kristof

This is a picture of the school members and the aboriginal flag. They are standing behind the stone of Rufus. He is in the middle of the 3 Aussie graves.

post-8-1102363665.jpg

Thanks for the link!

Very impressive, Kristof! I'll try to be there too wednesday!

Thanks again!

Joris

Fift:

The school studied the tribe and Donna discovered the story of 16 aboriginals who died in WW1 of that tribe. Only 1 had a CWGC grave: Rufus.

I think you will find that many of these men served under assumed names, and not their tribal names. This is what makes researching them so hard.

Fift:

I think you will find that many of these men served under assumed names, and not their tribal names. This is what makes researching them so hard.

In this case Paul i was told the other ones were MIA's. One of them is Cyril, Rufus' brother.

But i don't know their names.

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Paul may or may not remember ( ;) ) that in the Australian doucmentary Poziers, in which he was shown at the end, a native australian who won the MM and was killed in 1918 was featured. Forgotten his name though........anyone?

Ian

Ian,

There are actually two aboriginal soldiers who fit your descrition. Pvt William Rawlings won the MM at Morlancourt in July 1918. His friend, Cpl Harry Thorpe, won the MM at Broodseinde Ridge in 1917. Both were killed on August 9, 1918 and are buried in Heath Cemetery, Harbonnieres.

Cheers,

Mat

• 3 years later...

Hi Joris and All,

In regards the Ngarrindjeri, Dr Doreen Kartinyeri (who was Ngarrinjeri) wrote a book called Ngarrindjeri Anzacs. Its a rare book as not that many were printed. There are some other books and research papers on Aboriginal soldiers - not many by Aboriginal people though.

In reply to two of your questions:

1. The main reason was that soldiers that enlisted had to be of substantial British origin.

2. The numbers that fought. Aboriginal soldiers original estimate by the AWM is 300 - 400 in the Great War. However, there is some work being done trying to update this area. As to the Ngarrinjeri - Doreen listed 21 in her book.

Regards

Ray

• 2 weeks later...