The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Pity of War - Wilfred Owen on 13th October

horrocks

The Pity of War
Penny Rimbaud Recites Wilfred Owen's War Poems
The Chapel, King's College, The Strand, London WC2R 2LS
Thurs 13th October 2016 6.30 for 7pm

Following Penny's Owen recital at my show at The Horse Hospital in September, he will be reprising it on Thursday evening in the suitably inspiring setting of King's Chapel as part of their autumn Arts & Humanities Festival. The recitals will be preceded by a slideshow of my Somme photographs accompanied by recordings of music by the composers Frederick Kelly and George Butterworth, both of whom were killed on the Somme. The Owen recitals are in the process of being recorded to a CD that will be released during the course of the next year as part of the centenary commemorations both of Owen's death and of the end of the Great War, and I believe that this show is being both filmed and recorded as part of that production.

During the recitals Penny is accompanied by the extraordinarily expressive cello of Kate Shortt, with Liam Noble on the piano, the two winding in a remarkable interplay with Penny's voice and Owen's words. It all adds up to a deeply moving & emotional journey.

Tickets are free, and can be obtained on the link below, which gives further background on the event.

My apologies for not posting this earlier.