Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I'm hoping someone might be able to help answer a question about my wife's 2nd great aunt, Sister Mary "Milla" Evans.

I've managed to gather a lot of information about her using various online resources - Ancestry, FindMyPast, The London Gazette, the British Journal of Nursing - plus some photos in an old family album, but the one thing I can neither confirm nor disprove is a long held family story that she served in France during WW1. 

Here's what I do know - I hope some of this information might provide some clues, or at least help point me in the right direction in regards to her service record:

She was born in Bala, North Wales, in 1885. Though she is listed simply as "Mary" on the Parish Baptism records, it seems she went by the name "Milla" from an early age, and all of her nursing records use that name. 

According to the UK Register of Nurses (via Ancestry) Milla Evans trained at Hammersmith Infirmary, London, from 1907-1910.

On the 1911 Census she is listed (under the name Mary) as a Sick Nurse, living in Aber, North Wales, and working "In Hospital".

The next record of her is the London Gazette, October 24th 1917, when she was awarded the Royal Red Cross 2nd Class. She is listed as 2nd Assistant Matron, Alder Hey Hospital, Liverpool. Her Investiture was on December 12th 1917. There are several records of this, but they are all scant when it comes to information. The BJN, December 22nd 1917, lists her under Civil Nursing Service.

After the war Alder Hey reverted to its original purpose as a children's hospital, and Milla remained there until 1925, when she emigrated to the USA.

She passed away in Montana in 1936, and one of her obituaries states that she served in the Royal Nursing Corps.

Any observations, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by clnhnsn67