Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Robert Turnbull MM, 23/459, 9th (Northumberland Hussars) Bn

Mark Salkeld

Hi

I'm looking for any information pertaining to my Great Grandfather, Robert Turnbull.  His service number was 23/459 and he was a stretcher bearer with the 9th (Northumberland Hussars) Battalion.  He was KIA on 25th of September 1918 (killed by shellfire) aged 25 years at La Rue de Bac-Saint-Maur in Steenwerck, France.  

I've been unable to locate Robert's Military Service record which was likely amongst those destroyed by the fire in 1940. 

I would greately appreciate any information that anyone might have.

Kind regards

Mark

Welcome to the Forum,

The Soldiers Died in the Great War records show his birthplace as Burradon Northumberland and that he enlisted at Newcastle-upon-Tyne.

He is in the Register of Soldiers Effects as Robert Twinbull and his war gratuity of £18 10s indicates he enlisted in or about September 1914. It also shows his widow and sole legatee was Mary Ann.

Mike

3 hours ago, Mark Salkeld said:

Hi

I'm looking for any information pertaining to my Great Grandfather, Robert Turnbull.  His service number was 23/459 and he was a stretcher bearer with the 9th (Northumberland Hussars) Battalion.  He was KIA on 25th of September 1918 (killed by shellfire) aged 25 years at La Rue de Bac-Saint-Maur in Steenwerck, France.  

I've been unable to locate Robert's Military Service record which was likely amongst those destroyed by the fire in 1940. 

I would greately appreciate any information that anyone might have.

Kind regards

Mark

Hi Mark

He is on the nominal roll of the 4th Tyneside Scottish,see "Tyneside Scottish" a book by Graham Stewart and John Sheen.

He was awarded a Military Medal. Robert is mentioned  in the Sep 1918 War Diary (of the 9th). It says  "the  award (MM) having been published during the month of Sep 1918 " meaning the act of bravery was from an earlier date. This can be traced and I am sure others will

help out here. He was in "D" company of the 9th. Its worth you looking up the War Diary for that day (25/9/18) as the "D" Co carrying party is mentioned.

Regards

Tony

Morning

He was killed while his battalion were in the front line trenches at Bac St. Maur.

The War Diary records,

“20 September 1918 - Yam Farm.

Parade at 5.15am to proceed to front line trenches in relief of 2/7th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Order:- “B” Company (left front company), “C” Company (centre front company), “D” Company (right front company), “A” Company (support company). It was a quiet relief with no casualty. Relief completed about 12 noon.

21 September 1918 - Quiet day in the line with intermittent shelling. Lt. Col. A. Ebsworth M.C. was wounded during the afternoon whilst visiting front line posts (“B” Company) and died about 7pm from his wounds.

Lt. Col. W. Cook Brown D.S.O. joined the battalion and assumed command of the battalion.

“D” Company had 2 casualties, 1 killed and 1 wounded.

22 September 1918 - Quiet day. Shelling on both sides. Our aeroplanes active.

23 September 1918 - Quiet day with intermittent shelling of back areas.

6 casualties front line companies (“B”, “C” and “D”), 1 killed and 5 wounded.

24 September 1918 - Quiet day. Enemy artillery active with retaliation on our side.

Casualties nil.

25 September 1918 - Quiet day. Intermittent shelling on both sides during day which increased towards night.

A carrying party of “D” Company suffered casualties through shell fire on Bac St. Maur road. Casualties 5 killed and 5 wounded.

“B” Company 4 casualties in line, 2 killed and 2 wounded.”

Regards,

Graeme

On 11/10/2016 at 22:28, quadrangle said:

Hi Mark

He is on the nominal roll of the 4th Tyneside Scottish,see "Tyneside Scottish" a book by Graham Stewart and John Sheen.

He was awarded a Military Medal. Robert is mentioned  in the Sep 1918 War Diary (of the 9th). It says  "the  award (MM) having been published during the month of Sep 1918 " meaning the act of bravery was from an earlier date. This can be traced and I am sure others will

help out here. He was in "D" company of the 9th. Its worth you looking up the War Diary for that day (25/9/18) as the "D" Co carrying party is mentioned.

Regards

Tony

Hi Tony

Thank you very much for the reference.  I had a look through the book and was fortunate to find a letter written by Robert to Mary whilst he was stationed at Windmill Hill.  It reads:

Postal arrangements seemed to go wrong whilst at Windmill Hill and Private R Turnbull wrote to his wife Mary at 12 Third Street, Wallsend on 3 Sepetember,

'Dear Wife

I write these few lines asking if you sent me that parcel and if you have I have not got it yet.  So it will pay you to see about it.  So write staight away and tell them it has to come to Windmill Hill, Andover Tyneside Scottish, and be sure to put Tyneside Scottish on my letters.  So no more now. 

Your loving husband R Turnbull'.

I knew that this was my Great Grandfather because they lived at 12 Third Street, Wallsend after they were married. 

So thanks again for the reference - I doubt that I'd have come across this had I not come to this forum!

Kind regards

Mark

1 hour ago, Mark Salkeld said:

Thank you all for your responses - very much appreciated!!!

Can anyone tell me exactly when Robert was born?

Kind regards

Mark

There's a public family tree (Barber) on Ancestry which has his date of birth as 14th November 1892. Also there is his marriage to Mary Ann Bell in 1914 - in Wallsend, Northumberland, as per Peter's post #5.

Mike