Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A. McQueen, Cameron Highlanders

Sjack91

I have recently been looking through newspapers to gather information of men serving during WW1 from my home town of Uddingston. In a recent search I came across Private A. McQueen (possibly Archibald). Regiment was the Cameron Highlanders and in the Evening times from the 1st of February 1916 he was reported wounded.

Other information that I have, if it is the same man is his service number 2762, S/43587.

Searching more I cannot seem to find any more information on him. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Stuart 

3 hours ago, Sjack91 said:

I have recently been looking through newspapers to gather information of men serving during WW1 from my home town of Uddingston. In a recent search I came across Private A. McQueen (possibly Archibald). Regiment was the Cameron Highlanders and in the Evening times from the 1st of February 1916 he was reported wounded.

Other information that I have, if it is the same man is his service number 2762, S/43587.

Searching more I cannot seem to find any more information on him. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Stuart 

Hi Stuart,

What leads you to believe that it is Archibald McQueen (1st Lovat Scouts 2762 and 10th (Lovat Scouts) Bn. Camerons : S/43587)?

Just going through Forces-War-Records, Ancestry and FMP, I also surfaced the following men called A McQueen, all of whom are recorded as having been Cameron Highlanders :-

Alexander McQueen (S/21716 : 5th Bn. and 6th Bn. Camerons)

Alexander McQueen (S/15218 : 1st Bn. Camerons)

Arthur McQueen (S/314546 : 5th Bn. Camerons)

Alexander McQueen (S/26782 : ? Bn. Camerons)

A McQueen (226049 : 10th (Lovat Scout) Bn. Camerons)

Part of the Service records of PTE Alexander McQueen (S/15218) are accessible on Find My Past and I note that he is recorded as having an address at what appears to be something similar to 4 Deanbrae Street, Uddingston.  Attested 14th Nov 1914. aged 20 years and two months, his occupation being listed as 'miner'. 

Next of kin possibly called 'William' of the same address.  It's not clear whether that is a surname or forename.  It stands on it's on.

Has him posted to the 1st Bn. Cameron Highlanders as of 10th Mar 1915 and that he received 'GSW to L/Knee' on 13th Jan 1916.

He returned to the UK on 18th Feb 1916 and was there until 9th Apr 1917, then posted back to France until 2nd Aug 1917/

Again returned to the UK on 3rd Aug 1917,  until 30th Apr 1918 and thereafter posted to the reserve.

Given his recorded address and the date of the gunshot wound, it looks like he's probably your man.

It's good to see that he survived the war.

Ron

Edited by Ron Abbott

Excellent Ron. My reason for thinking that it was Archibald was because I came across his medal card on finding my past and I have details of an Archibald McQueen living in Uddingston at the time. His details are;

Archibald McQueen

28 in September 1913

Working as a Blacksmith

Address 4 Middleton terrace, Uddingston.

I was looking for a link to match the A.McQueen from the paper and the Archibald McQueen that I have, however with the info you have supplied I am certain that the A. McQueen in the newspaper is PTE Alexander McQueen (S/15218) that you have mentioned above and not Archibald.

As you say it is great to see that he survived the war and kind of strange in a way that he was from the street my father was born, 28 Deanbrae Street. I walked down it on Sunday.

13 hours ago, Sjack91 said:

Excellent Ron. My reason for thinking that it was Archibald was because I came across his medal card on finding my past and I have details of an Archibald McQueen living in Uddingston at the time. His details are;

Archibald McQueen

28 in September 1913

Working as a Blacksmith

Address 4 Middleton terrace, Uddingston.

I was looking for a link to match the A.McQueen from the paper and the Archibald McQueen that I have, however with the info you have supplied I am certain that the A. McQueen in the newspaper is PTE Alexander McQueen (S/15218) that you have mentioned above and not Archibald.

As you say it is great to see that he survived the war and kind of strange in a way that he was from the street my father was born, 28 Deanbrae Street. I walked down it on Sunday.

Stuart, I could only find one Alexander McQueen in the 1911 census who lived in the vicinity of Uddingston and was of approximate age.

It records an Alexander McQueen, aged 16 as being a 'pit head worker' and 'miner' and residing at 20 Skene Place in Bellshill.

His father is recorded as William McQueen, aged 45.....a 'miner'.

(note that William as his next of kin's name matches the army record)

Mother named as Janet McQueen (age 39) and Alexander had siblings called Peter (18 yrs), Margaret (11 yrs), William (7 yrs), Matthew (3 yrs) and James (1 yr).  

His full name was Alexander Rankine McQueen and he was born in Bellshill on 7th Aug 1894. 

His father was William Beveridge McQueen and his mother was Janet Simpson Williamson McQueen (nee Rankine).

Hope that helps.

Ron

Edited by Ron Abbott