Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

West Riding Volunteers

Grandpacarr

Hello, attached is the badge hes wearing.

The West Riding Volunteers was part of the Volunteer Training Corps, raised in 1914 by towns an villages all over the UK for home defense, they were not recognized by the War Office  . They were like the Home Guard of the time, they wore their own badges, and officers had different rank badges etc. During 1917 the Volunteers became part of the Army structure and wore Royal Arms badges, though many retained their old badges. Officers were commissioned and wore the badges of rank of the regular army. The VTC were a huge part of the war effort, many men joined Regiments on the Front very well trained thanks to the VTC's. They also manned defenses around the UK, freeing up soldiers, so they could be drafted to the front, especially during the 1918 spring offensive. The West Riding Vols had around 22 Battalions, one of which, the 9th, my Great Grandfather became Adjutant of in 1917 when the Battalions took on a  Regular or Territorial Officer to fulfill this roll. All the VTC Battalions became Volunteer Regiments of the Regular Regiments in 1918, the war ended and most were disbanded by 1918/19.

Hope this helps

Chris   

vol.jpg

Hello Chris, Many thanks for your very detailed reply to my request for help with this photograph.  I bought it quite recently from a military fair in Bromley.                                           I always buy the photographs of the West Yorkshire Regiments but on this occasion I do not know anything at all about this unit,so Chris your help really is appreciated.

Pleasure, my Great Grandfather may have known this chap, you never know.       And it was April 1916 when the War Office recognised the VTC, if you put Volunteer training corps into Google, there is a good Wikipedia page about them, best wishes,   Chris

Edited by Dragoon

• 2 months later...

I've had a look through the adjutants photo album in Keighley Library archives and sadly I can't see this man among them. Shame you don't have a name for him, as I've got a copy of their nominal roll as well.