Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

London area local newspapers

Chris_Baker

It always seems to me that London was not as well served by local newspapers as areas outside the city. The British Newspaper Archive includes titles from Essex, Surrey, Sussex and Kent that do "cross over" into today's London, but much of the city does not get coverage. Take Bermondsey, Walworth, Putney, etc as examples. I'd be grateful for any comments on this. Was it simply that there were no "local" papers - or am I missing something? 

Chris,

If you go to the British Library website page http://www.bl.uk/subjects/news-media   and put a place of interest in Search, and select "Newspapers only" you should get a list of local newspapers. I just tried it for Camberwell and came up with 32 local papers.

These have not been digitised, and are held (I believe) in Boston, Lincs, where one can look at them.

Martin

Edited by tootrock
Spelling

Thanks, Martin - most helpful. The old Colindale collection, presumably. A few quick searches do reveal some titles, but still pretty thin on the ground for the Great War period. A search for "Bermondsey", for example, brings up just one. Perhaps I'll need to be a bit flexible on the search terms.

Out of this list, eight would appear to cover the Great War period in Lewisham.

I don't know why the British Newspaper Archive is so thin on the ground for this area. Is it a question of ownership or copyright?

Phil

Using the link given by Mike, and searching for Clerkenwell the result is nil. Could it be that the daily nationals were considered to be London papers?

• Admin

While agreeing with your assertion as far as online resources I follow this blog https://ww1wandsworth.wordpress.com which draws heavily on the South London Press, while the BNA has some editions of that newspaper, and other London Newspapers they tend to be for the period 1850-1899.  The BNA also has the London Evening Standard and, it has to be said, the national newspapers which then as now were 'London-centric'.

The Wandsworth Council blog notes complete editions of the South London Press are on microfilm at the Wandsworth Heritage Centre (admittedly not much use to you) but the newspaper does cover the areas of Wandsworth, Putney and Tooting, as well as the current London Boroughs of  Lambeth and Southwark.

Ken

Sorry, I see I have duplicated Mike's link

Edited by kenf48

Here's a thing, much of today's London was known by its county.  So Uxbridge is known as London today - but was known as Middlesex pre the 70s (60s?)  Interesting to note that there is no Middlesex in the county look up :-(  So no Uxbridge Gazette on there.

Edited by Norrette

Chris,

Not sure if this helps. I assume you are talking about papers in the Great War period. If so remember many places were not then in London. Not least Wimbledon and Kingston Wimbledon News Surrey Comet, probably Croydon and Putney too, were in Surrey. I believe others places in Middlesex, Kent and others were  swallowed up when the changes to expand the remit of the GLC. 

Chris

You should also try the local borough archives/local studies/history centre as they usually hold a selection or can suggest relevant newspapers.

Bootneck

Re ID #2, if the newspapers are held by the BL, the Boston is in Yorkshire (Boston Spa), not Lincs. Many years ago, you could order material from that repository and it would be sent to London. But that was for books, not newspapers.

There were certainly plenty of local newspapers for East London at the time of Jack the Ripper.

My big gripe about newspapers is the unavailability of a digital version of the Morning Post for our period. The copyright must be with the Daily Telegraph, which took it over in the 1930s.

Mike

Edited by M.Durey
Additional information.