Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental No query

Bob H

My grandfather, Arthur Pitt was a private in the RAMC. His regimental No was 16.

However doing a search of the MIC’s came up with over 40 others in the RAMC with the same number.

Can anyone tell me what system was used to differentiate between these men?

Regards

Bob

My grandfather, Arthur Pitt was a private in the RAMC. His regimental No was 16.

However doing a search of the MIC’s came up with over 40 others in the RAMC with the same number.

Can anyone tell me what system was used to differentiate between these men?

Regards

Bob

I would suspect that they are all members {early ones} of the Territorial Force & therefore all belong to different RAMC TF Brigades,& prior to WW1 this would have caused little if any problem,as there paths were unlikely to cross!,In WW1 however this problem was recognised & in 1917 the 6 Figure Numbering system was introduced for TF Men,each Unit being allocated their series of Numbers,I suspect that some of those you mention are shown as having such Numbers,others may well have been Discharged/KiA/DoW,etc;prior to re~numbering.

A Regular having this number would however have kept it.

Bob,

Your Grandfather would almost certainly have been in a Territorial Unit, such as a Field Ambulance, of which there were many. Each would have had it's own numbering system, hence the repetition. I believe that the RAMC is one of the annoying units for which there is no detail on the medal roll (or obviously MIC) to indicate to which unit a man belonged. I'm sure someone will be able to confirm the validity of that.

Hope that is of help, if not particularly good news.

Steve

the RAMC is one of the annoying units

Thats fighting talk around certain parts of Ash Vale. ;)

Ali

Oops,

Must try and be more careful..... my Granddad was is the 29th F.D.S. (WW2) after all!

Apologies

Steve