Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical Officers Insignia

petwes

Sorry if this has been asked before but I couldn't find the information in a search.  Also I'm not sure if the topic belongs here or in the medical section.

However here goes:

Did RAMC officers attached to Infantry Battalions as Medical Officers wear RAMC badges or did they adopt the Regimental badge of the Battalion they were attached to?

Peter

Hello,

All the group pictures i have seen cavalry or infantry, the medical officer is wearing RAMC cap and collars on service dress.

Hope this helps

Chris

Captain Noel Chavasse, VC and Bar, adopted some items of the unit to which he was attached, the Liverpool Scottish. This included their headdress and cap badge. Quite a good way of "belonging". I know some RMOs felt very outside the battalion from personal accounts.

12 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

I know some RMOs felt very outside the battalion from personal accounts.

One regiment  of which I know some detail does not recognise as "war casualties" those  officers and men from other Corps/Regiments who died when attached or seconded regardless of their length of service. This includes a number of officers and men from other regiments, RMO's/RAMC stretcher bearers.

Their names do not appear on the regiment's roll of honour or war memorial