Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Ancestry: new: Medical, dental etc professionals (Wellcome Library)

MaureenE

I received an email (from another source) which contains details of new databases on Ancestry (pay website).  (I don't subscribe to Ancestry myself)

Thousands of historic records held by the Wellcome Library have been made available to examine online for the first time. 

The London-based archive has released six unique datasets via Ancestry, together comprising over 1.4 million records relating to medical students and professionals across Britain and the Commonwealth.

The largest of the datasets comprises over 730,000 records gleaned from old medical directories, listing retired and practising doctors in 1845-1942.

Fully searchable, the entries can provide a doctor’s residential address, as well as details of their qualifications and employment history.

Other additions to Ancestry include registers of medical and dental students (1882-1937), dentists (1879-1942), physiotherapists (1895-1980) and midwives (1909-1959), plus the Roll of the Indian Medical Service (1615-1930), listing the names of 8,000 medical professionals who worked within the former British Raj.

If the underlying links above don't work,  "UK & Ireland, Medical Directories, 1845-1942", located in Schools, Directories & Church Histories

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=61053

Cheers

Maureen

Edit: Someone has kindly advised that "UK, Roll of the Indian Medical Service, 1615 -1930" consists of Index records and page images from the book 

Roll of the Indian Medical Service 1615-1930 by D.G. Crawford, published 1930.

Edited by Maureene

None of my lot were doctors but Ancestry are doing a free weekend until Sunday 23.59. 

Thanks Maureen

The link does work and opens in the search page.

It has a Keyword facility. I have tried it for place-names (towns/villages etc) and it works should anyone want to have a look at their local area.