Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Irish Regiment

KGB

AGM of 18th Foot, Royal Irish Regt in County Tipperary, Saturday, 15th October, any further details? 

• 2 weeks later...

How did it go afterwards? I was there at the start but could not stay until the end.

Edited by museumtom

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

How did it go afterwards? I was there at the start but could not stay until the end.

Alas I was stuck elsewhere! We ought to have an aegis, of each of the eight Irish Infantry regiments and seek funding (National Lottery?) north and south.

Experience shows me they are not interested. Even to get a reply from the powers that be would be an amazing achievement in itself. 100 years is too long.

14 hours ago, museumtom said:

Experience shows me they are not interested. Even to get a reply from the powers that be would be an amazing achievement in itself. 100 years is too long.

Agree 100%, yet the bull put out by politicians (all sides) is to commemorate. 

I reckon they may intend to do something after our 'decade of remembrance', when it is too late and the final total of our Irish dead will be burnt into the minds of poor people as 49,600. They will have to un-learn it. Something will be done before then, mark my words, before Nov 1918, but it will not be done by the powers that be, they will not have a hand, act, or part in it, and as such they will not be in a position to control it or use it to make gain for themselves. I remember a  P.A. of a Tipperary Politician you well know said to me;- 'Always remember this, Politicians don't do embarrassment.'

Cuimhnímis Íad-We WILL remember them.

20 hours ago, museumtom said:

I reckon they may intend to do something after our 'decade of remembrance', when it is too late and the final total of our Irish dead will be burnt into the minds of poor people as 49,600. They will have to un-learn it. Something will be done before then, mark my words, before Nov 1918, but it will not be done by the powers that be, they will not have a hand, act, or part in it, and as such they will not be in a position to control it or use it to make gain for themselves. I remember a  P.A. of a Tipperary Politician you well know said to me;- 'Always remember this, Politicians don't do embarrassment.'

Cuimhnímis Íad-We WILL remember them.

Heather Humphreys sent me a nice e-mail. No action though. So I gave her my 10th preference vote. Sea change in Irish psyche? Well it did only take a century. 

'  Sea change in Irish psyche?' fingers crossed!!

On 10/17/2016 at 10:55, museumtom said:

'  Sea change in Irish psyche?' fingers crossed!!

Wish I could do a Thumbs Up as in Facebook. Top tip - never do a thumbs up in Iran, it is equivalent to middle finger here.