Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

C V Russell - 2nd Cheshire

Russellwoodward

Russell

As you possibly know, the 2nd Battalion was in India before the War and arrived back in England on Xmas Eve 1914. A few days later it left again for France. After a shortish spell there, it was sent to Macedonia/Salonika for the remainder of the War

It was never in Mesopotamia as such. My guess, therefore, is that he had been detached to the Indian Postal Co, whilst the Battalion had been in India and went with to Persia. Or he evacuated from Salonika to a Hospital in Persia (but I doubt it).

John

Dear John

From your reply you suggest that he may have gone to Persia - is this with the Indian Telegraph and Postal Co?

Russell

The 2nd Cheshires landed in Salonika in January 1916 and served on the Struma Front,fighting the Bulgarian Army ,till the Bulgarians signed their armistice in Septmeber 1918.2nd Cheshires then left for garrison duties at Gallopolli before returning home. A Company were mostly made up of Manxman and was reffered to as the"1st Manx Service Company". My Brother and myself have been writing a unit history on this company but we are 75% complete.

is this with the Indian Telegraph and Postal Co?

Russell

Yes. That's my guess (and it is only a guess).

Certainly it would fit the facts of the battalion's movements that he was attached to them in India and simply went with them to Persia, rather than being with the main Battalion returning to England, etc.

I have it in mind that I've come across another Cheshire who was similarly attached, but I can't find anything in my papers. If I do come across it, I'll see if it helps anyy.

John

Dear Manxsapper

Thanks for the outline on the 2nd Battalion regarding Salonika

Also Thanks John

If you do come across anything that might relate to this situation i would be most grateful

Thanks Again

Russell

Russell

You may need somebody with a philatelic background to confirm this, but I seem to recall that the Gulf states which were under British rule had their postal services administered by the Indian Postal & Telgraph Co. This included Persia.

The records for this organisation will be held with the India Office Records at either Kew or the British Library, and it may well be that more information is forthcoming from that channel, rather than the military one.

Steve

Russell

You may need somebody with a philatelic background to confirm this, but I seem to recall that the Gulf states which were under British rule had their postal services administered by the Indian Postal & Telgraph Co. This included Persia.

The records for this organisation will be held with the India Office Records at either Kew or the British Library, and it may well be that more information is forthcoming from that channel, rather than the military one.

Steve

Dear Steve

Thanks for this

An interesting angle

I did not realise the information was available in UK - looks like a bit of research in London

Thanks for the idea

Regards

Russell