Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lawrence Fairbrother Ramsey - Died 7 Jan 1919 (post-discharge)

melliget

Last year I filed this one from The Times (9 Jan 1919) in my "check later" folder. Lawrence Fairbrother Ramsey, died in a nursing home in England on 7 Jan 1919 (post-discharge). Reportedly as a result of shell shock, sustained on the Somme. His name is on a West Wittering war memorial. Some discussion and background on this forum.

http://sussexhistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=9381.0

Has his case ever been looked at?

Martin

1919-01-09 The Times - Death of Lawrence Fairbrother Ramsey.jpg

Hi Ralph.

I've had a couple of UK cases but I mainly focus on Australian ones. Have a few in the pipeline and I'm looking into a bunch more and more to check. Not sure if they're all cases but I will probably need to order a fair number of DCs. I was just wanting to make sure Lawrence Ramsey wasn't missed or at least got looked at. If someone wants to put him forward, that would be good.

Martin

Edited by melliget

4 hours ago, melliget said:

If someone wants to put him forward, that would be good

For CWGC to consider the case, there needs to be documentary evidence that confirms that the cause of discharge was caused by or aggravated by war service and that there's a link between that cause and the cause of death. The former certainly exists in this case.

By the by, In From the Cold Project's funding from the Veterans Agency does not permit us to obtain death certificates "on spec". However, we can submit cases on behalf of others, assuming we agree there is sufficiient evidence. In such cases, we are able to refund the cost of acquiring the death certificates.

Personally, I think this may be a tricky one. He was wounded in 10/16 but the file suggests this was relatively minor (only 10 days in hospital). The actual cause of discharge appears to be the symptoms of shell shock, rather than the physical injury. It is obviously of interest that he is dead within a few weeks of returning to the UK and the actual cause of death would be crucial in determining a possible commemoration. Was it, in fact, something related to his wound that may not have been properly diagnosed? Or something related to his mental state (very tricky ref commemorations)

John

West Wittering is not that far from me, I don't mind paying for the death certificate to see if he can be added.  Will order tomorrow.

Mandy

Hello Mandy,

If the case is good I will get the grave details confirmed.

Chris

9d0b6c363ea62729965a3b67fb861b57_zpsq9f1

The death certificate has arrived, attached is the relevant part.  Guessing nothing can be done as the doctor signing the certificate did not mention the war.

Mandy

Sorry cannot read the last word "Exhaustion from ?" 

Exhaustion from mania? Is that a possible link to shell shock? Though duration only 15 days. Discharged for over 2 years.

Gastro Enteritis. No pm (post mortem).

Sorry, but I cannot see how this one can go forward. However I am going to ask for a second opinion.

Chris

Unfortunately I tend to agree, Chris. Although his war experiences may well have led to his early demise, sadly there's nothing definitive on the DC that can be tied back to his war service. Also, with his nervous breakdown before the war, there's the element of a pre-existing condition.

Probably a bit late in the day (it was summarised in the forum thread referenced above), here are his service/pension papers:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BxlGEUmD-tydOHpyTW01Z0ptRGs?usp=sharing

Edited by melliget
Added link to service papers.

On ‎14‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 15:51, chrisharley9 said:

Sorry, but I cannot see how this one can go forward. However I am going to ask for a second opinion.

Chris

Sadly as Martin says nothing definite on the DC to link with his war service.

• 2 years later...

I was just browsing through the pension cards for men from Chichester on the WFA site and came across a pension card for Lawrence.  Just adding it here for completeness.  I guess no pension was paid as there are no figures on the card.

Image courtesy of The Western Front Association.

Mandy

5DD4226C-3EBE-42E9-990A-C09CB2485FCB.jpeg

50 minutes ago, mandy hall said:

I was just browsing through the pension cards for men from Chichester on the WFA site and came across a pension card for Lawrence.  Just adding it here for completeness.  I guess no pension was paid as there are no figures on the card.

Image courtesy of The Western Front Association.

Mandy

5DD4226C-3EBE-42E9-990A-C09CB2485FCB.jpeg

Many cards dont show the calculation, even where the pension was paid.

Craig