Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 information regarding my Grandfather

Jarchin

Looking for any information on my Grandfather

Henry John Laws served in both the Kings Royal Rifle Corps Service No 64400

Then transferred to The Rifle Brigade 16th (Service) Battalion (Church Lads Brigade) served 1914- 1920 beveled he also served in India.

Service No 39557.

Any help would be gratefully received

Many thannks

Barry

Hello Barry

Henry John Laws, 39557, served with 8th and 12th Rifle Brigade, Medal Roll and Medal Index Card on Ancestry, no mention of KRRC on either roll or card.

Regards

John

8 Rifle Brigade were a part of 41 Infantry Brigade of 14 Division. When your man moved to 12 Rifle Brigade he became a part of 60 Infantry Brigade of 20 Division.

He wasn't in a war zone until after Dec 1915 and I am not coming up with any detail on his service other than this.Forces War Records don't have any entry which might account for him being wounded or sick which might account for his move to a second unit. It is possible that the move may have arisen when 8 Battalion had so many losses in 1918,became a cadre and were eventually withdrawn from 14 Division. At times like these the troops may be moved to other units needing reinforcement.

Both of these Divisions served in France and Flanders and there is no note of them being in India into 1920.

I have checked the 12th RB casualty lists I have between Jan 1916 and August 1917, he is not mentioned on any of them.

John

• 3 years later...

Sorry Gents I thought I had replied to you both with my thanks.

That’s interesting John as his discharge certificate shows served in the KRR 16th (S) Btn Kings Royal Rifles Reg No 64400

then at some point the RB. Discharged 16th May 1919 and then reenlisted with final discharge 17th August 1921 unsure where he spent his time, but I think India or Afghanistan?

I have attached some paperwork. 

His certificate of employment during the war shows KRR and not the Rifle Brigade all vwery odd but I expect not unusual with so many coming home.

form Plus 1 427.jpg

form Plus 1 429.jpg

49 minutes ago, Jarchin said:

Sorry Gents I thought I had replied to you both with my thanks.

That’s interesting John as his discharge certificate shows served in the KRR 16th (S) Btn Kings Royal Rifles Reg No 64400

then at some point the RB. Discharged 16th May 1919 and then reenlisted with final discharge 17th August 1921 unsure where he spent his time, but I think India or Afghanistan?

I have attached some paperwork. 

His certificate of employment during the war shows KRR and not the Rifle Brigade all vwery odd but I expect not unusual with so many coming home.

form Plus 1 427.jpg

form Plus 1 429.jpg

His service with K.R.R.K looks to have been at home only,  he was transferred to the R.B. for service overseas, then re-enlisted in 1919 and was renumbered as No.6906473. Seven figure Army numbers were introduced in August 1920

Edited by GWF1967

I'm wondering if your grandfather has been "missed" off the KRRC medal rolls: there's no entry in the main list against 64400, and that omission does stand out amongst a lot of consecutive numbers. Interestingly, the vast majority of those with surrounding 643xx & 644xx numbers were posted to the 12th Bn. Rifle Brigade, with others transferred to the 8th & 9th Battalions.