Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

5 & 6 Coy in October 1915?

Skipman

On the 1st of October, 1915, the 2nd Black Watch took over trenches at Givenchy from the HLI.

The diary says this "Battalion paraded at 8 am and marched by Lestrem-Locon Road-Le Hamel-Gorre-to Givenchy, where it took over trenches on South of ridge from HLI. HQ of sub-section of defence, under Maj A G Wauchope, DSO, located in Givenchy village  A.8.c.4.2. No 1, 2, 3 & 4 Coys (less 1 platoon each Coy) in firing line; 4 platoons in support. 5 & 6 Coys in support-Keep & Redoubt. 6 men of No 2 Coy wounded by bomb, immediately relief was complete. "

They surely weren't still using the 8 company system in October 1915, is this just an error, or might he mean 5 & 6 platoon?

Or is it just too early and I'm missing something?

2vngphy.jpg

Mike

Now now Mike, you've had the lecture on moving images on the forum!

Back on topic,....
Have you other examples of 5th and 6th Companys being referred to in the diary?

The 1st/5th went out using the 8 Company structure, plus "left" and "right" hand of the battalion compositions. It wasn't until Feb 1916 companys were redesignated Letters instead of numbers.
So it's possible the 2nd Btn didn't change structure until after October 1915.

Perhaps someone with a transcript of the 2nd BW diary can find when things changed?

Derek.

12 minutes ago, Derek Black said:

Now now Mike, you've had the lecture on moving images on the forum!

Oops! I shall delete. Apologies all.

I am transcribing the diary Derek and that is the first instance of it, though, there are many instances of the diarist mentioning 1, 2, 3 & 4 Coys. If I find any more i will post. It struck me as rather odd and thought would post. Thanks for your reply. I thought I was perhaps making a mistake somewhere along the line.

Cheers Mike

Mike,

I've been transcribing the 5ths war diary too for a while now, on and off between other projects.
There's always the odd mystery or peculiarity needing further digging.

If you find any more weirness, please let me know.

Cheers,
Derek.

Morning Derek. Like your good self I have been transcribing this on and off for a while. I transcribed September 1915 some time ago as had hired a researcher to copy the diary for September 1915, being interested in the Loos battle. The October diary was not available then. I stated this was the first instance of seeing 5 & 6 Coy but this is not so. Looking back at it, the entry for the day before explains it, though it is still a bit odd to have a 5 & 6 Coy?

30/9/1915 Thursday Battalion at La Gorgue in Corps reserve. 4th Bn the Black Watch placed under orders of OS 2nd Bn for training, discipline etc and formed no 5 & 6 Coys of  Bn . Trench strength of 4th Bn 5 officers and 200 other ranks. Orders received for Battalion to be in readiness to move to vicinity of Givenchy, and take over front line there. (Weather) very cold and wet.

Mike

Aha! mystery solved.

I wonder where the rest of the 4th went then at that time?

Derek.

"I wonder where the rest of the 4th went then at that time?"

I think they were casualties of Loos Derek. Wauchope says (on page 45/427)  "Out of 20 officers and 420 men who actually took part in the attack, 19 officers and 230 men were killed and wounded. "

Mike

Ah yes, that would make sense.

CWGC records 97 from the 4th died between the 25th Sept and 31st of October 1915.

Dundee still lights the beacon on their war memorial on the anniverary of Loos every year.

Derek.