Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eastern Front Mobile hospital - Vereins Lazarette Lauterecken

DCRB

Hi. Researching a photograph album that I have acquired, though my German is rather limited and the hand is not entirely legible (to my untrained eye). If anyone can help identify where this might be, the Uniforms (and possibly units) in the picture - and who the Dignitary may be. Many thanks in advance

IMG_1900.JPG

IMG_1897.JPG

small3.jpg

The caption to the first one is 'Besuch des Königs in der Rupprechtschule'  ...  'Visit of the King to the Rupprecht school'.  The King appears to be Ludwig III of Bavaria.  If it is Ludwig, the Rupprechtschule in question (there are several) is probably the one in Bamberg, named after (and inaugurated by) Crown Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria, who was a Field Marshal during the Great War and commanded the Heeresgruppe Kronprinz Rupprecht von Bayern (Army Group Crown Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria)

The second caption is simply 'Rupprechtschule'.

The third caption is 'Kirn a/d Nahe, Xxxxxlazarett'.  Kirn an der Nahe is in Rheinland-Pfalz.

Hopefully someone else will be able to decipher the word before '-lazarett'.

Is it Margaretta / Margarethes?

Edited by seaJane

5 hours ago, SiegeGunner said:

The caption to the first one is 'Besuch des Königs in der Rupprechtschule'  ...  'Visit of the King to the Rupprecht school'.  The King appears to be Ludwig III of Bavaria.  If it is Ludwig, the Rupprechtschule in question (there are several) is probably the one in Bamberg, named after (and inaugurated by) Crown Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria, who was a Field Marshal during the Great War and commanded the Heeresgruppe Kronprinz Rupprecht von Bayern (Army Group Crown Prince Rupprecht of Bavaria)

The second caption is simply 'Rupprechtschule'.

The third caption is 'Kirn a/d Nahe, Xxxxxlazarett'.  Kirn an der Nahe is in Rheinland-Pfalz.

Hopefully someone else will be able to decipher the word before '-lazarett'.

It says "Vereinslazarett" (meaning a Red Cross hospital, as the Red Cross was then officially called "Verein vom Roten Kreuz").

Jan

Could be the Rupprechtschule in Kaiserslautern, now called the Goetheschule.
It was used as a Vereinslazarett des Roten Kreuzes during the Great War. And it's only 30 miles from Kirn.
The fence & gates look identical.

rupprecht.jpg

Thanks Jane, Jan and Adrian.  I can see 'Vereins-' now, and should in any case have got it from the thread title.  And the wall, fence and gates do indeed look like those of the Rupprechtschule in Kaiserslautern.  So is it in fact King Ludwig III of Bavaria?

Thank you all so far - that is really helpful. I had just not been able to decipher Rupprechtschule - my German is not quite good enough. KaiserLautern sounds probable as one of the other images is labelled Vereins Lazaretto Laurecken - which I believe is not that far away from Lautern.

Was there a Red Cross hospital at Löwenburg as well does anyone know?

6 minutes ago, SiegeGunner said:

Thanks Jane, Jan and Adrian.  I can see 'Vereins-' now, and should in any case have got it from the thread title.  And the wall, fence and gates do indeed look like those of the Rupprechtschule in Kaiserslautern.  So is it in fact King Ludwig III of Bavaria?

It is Ludwig III von Bayern indeed. Kaiserslautern was part of Bavaria at that point.

Jan

44 minutes ago, AOK4 said:

It is Ludwig III von Bayern indeed. Kaiserslautern was part of Bavaria at that point.

Jan

Many thanks for that clarification AOK4

2 hours ago, DCRB said:

and if anyone can identify any of the uniforms that would be wonderful :-)

They're boy scouts (Pfadfinder).

Jan

58 minutes ago, apwright said:

Go to

https://www.kaiserslautern.de/tourismus_freizeit_kultur/kultur/bibliotheken_und_literatur/stadtarchiv/tgersterweltkrieg/index.html.de

and click through to the 4th picture in the gallery at the bottom.
The king is in front, and man in the overcoat is the Oberbürgermeister of Kaiserslautern, Dr. Küfner.

Adrian

So it is - thank you for unearthing that. 

7 hours ago, SiegeGunner said:

Good find, Adrian.  I'd forgotten about the Google Images search feature.

How does that work? Sorry to be dense ... never tried it. Do you just paste in the image ? is it as simple as that?

On the machine I'm using at the moment you just right click on the image and it offers you a menu which includes the option.

Other option, open https://images.google.co.uk/ in another tab, and [attempt to] drag the image into the search box.

I add brackets because this does not always work!