Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Downey. Private 14495 9th Battalion, Royal Irish Rifles

Ian C

Hi,

James went to France/Flanders on 7/715 as confirmed by his Medal Rolls and MIC, but the rest of the battalion did not go until early October. Any ideas why he would have gone three months before the rest of the battalion? 

Regards

IanC

I can't see a 1914-15 Star Roll for him on the Ancestry UK Index. Did you find one ? I saw the BW and V Medals Roll. I wonder if the Star Roll will give another unit for the few months before the 9th landed, or even if there was a date error on the MIC/Roll ?

Hi Guys

Thanks for responding. 

I did eventually find his 14/15 Star, its just indexed under J rather than James,  nothing on there to indicate another unit, and the date hasn't been altered etc, I did think advance party just thought 3 months was a long time!!

Regards

IanC

6 minutes ago, Ian C said:

Hi Guys

Thanks for responding. 

I did eventually find his 14/15 Star, its just indexed under J rather than James,  nothing on there to indicate another unit, and the date hasn't been altered etc, I did think advance party just thought 3 months was a long time!!

Regards

IanC

I had similar with a couple of T.F. men - never been able to work out exactly why they went out several months ahead.

Craig

• 5 weeks later...

There is also human error. I have come across several men who were entitled to the 1914 Star but the qualifying date was incorrect.

There was even one who was killed in August 1914 and his medal card stated that he went to France in Novemer 1914.