Dr Andrew Lambert

'Evacuation: Nursing and Care-giving at Gallipoli'

Dr Phylomena Badsey

Stealing Away: the RND and the Evacuation of Helles

Peter Hart

The Other Side: the story of Wolfgang Schrader

Dr Jochen Schrader 

and more to announce later ...

• Lunch and refreshments will be provided (vegetarian options will be available).
  • There is a large public car park 400 yards from the Dockyard entrance (£8 per day).
  • Doors open at 09:30 and the conference will close no later than 17:00.
  • Venue address: Princess Royal Room, Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, Victory Gate, HM Naval Base, Portsmouth PO1 3LJ.

To BOOK please pay by cheque or Paypal, although please note there is a small PayPal fee that we need to charge.

CHEQUE - £30.00: If paying by cheque please make this payable to 'The Gallipoli Association' and send to: James Watson-Smith, Gallipoli Association (Events), Chelsea Lodge, Coopers Hill Lane, Englefield Green, Surrey TW20 0JX.

PAYPAL - £32.00: If paying by paypal please send payment to paypal@gallipoli-association.org and make this out to the amount of £32.00 (this includes the paypal fee). In the payment description please mark it as 'CONFERENCE'.

Any queries please email: conference@gallipoli-association.org

Telephone enquiries to James Watson-Smith: 07798652387 or 01784 479148

phylomena1.png?width=162&height=186Dr. Phylomena Badsey MA was awarded her PhD from Kingston University in 2005, its topic "The Political Thought of Vera Brittain" was the pinnacle of many years research into women and the Great War. In December 2010 she was awarded from University of Birmingham MA Second War Studies (with Merit). Since 1992 she has been a frequent speaker for the Western Front Association, and she is also their 1914-18 Open Public Lecture Series Co-ordinator and Universities Officer. She is a Visiting Lecturer at the University of Wolverhampton on the BA (Hons) War Studies and MA Conflict Studies and the new MA in Second World War Studies. She has spoken on British nurses from their training ground during the Anglo-Boer War to the First World War. She is currently writing a chapter on the topic of ‘Queen Alexandra’s Royal Naval Nursing Service and Reserve Nurses and Care-giving at Gallipoli’ for a new book called Gallipoli: New Perspectives on the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force 1915-16.

lambert1.png?width=135&height=180Dr Andrew Lambert is Laughton Professor of Naval History in the Department of War Studies at King's College, London. His books include: The Crimean War: British Grand Strategy against Russia 1853-1856. Manchester 1990, 'The Foundations of Naval History': Sir John Laughton, the Royal Navy and the Historical Profession. London 1997, Nelson: Britannia’s God of War. London 2004, Admirals. London 2008, Franklin: Tragic hero of Polar Navigation. London 2009 and The Challenge: Britain versus America in the Naval War of 1812, London 2012, winner of Anderson Medal of the Society for Nautical Research for the best maritime history book. His latest book is Crusoe’s Island: A rich and curious history of pirates, castaways and madness – a study of English insularity and the South Pacific.

hart1.png?width=200&height=171Peter Hart is a prolific author on both world wars. His books on the Great War include Defeat at Gallipoli, Tumult in the Clouds, Passchendaele, The Sacrificial Ground, Jutland 1916 (all co-authored with his colleague Nigel Steel) and Somme Success: The RFC and the Somme. Bloody April: Slaughter in the Skies over Arras, 1917, The Somme and Gallipoli 1915. His latest work is Voices from the Front: An Oral History of the Great War is a distillation of his life's work in recording the voices of veterans of the 1914-1918 conflict. Peter Hart is one of the country's leading oral historians. As the Imperial War Museum's Oral Historian, he works frequently with war veterans recording their wartime experiences and to continue to expand the magnificent collections of the Imperial War Museum Sound Archive.

schrader2.png?width=189&height=204Dr Jochen Schrader has obtained a Ph. D. in Geophysics and currently works as Compliance Expert with a well-known German IT company. When Jochen was a child in the 1960s and 1970s in Dortmund, Germany, he grew up with the exciting stories his grandfather told about his own childhood as the oldest son of a liberal German journalist in a city then known as "Constantinople". Sometimes grandfather Wolfgang also mentioned the "Dardanelles”, and told strange stories about an exotic battlefield still largely unknown in Germany, where he served as staff translator, from July 1915 until January 1916, changing his German naval uniform for a Turkish infantry outfit. Only many years after Wolfgang's death in 1984, Jochen became himself interested in Wolfgang's wartime diaries and also the personal photo collection which both survived flight and displacement, not only in 1918/19 but also in the turbulent decades Germany faced afterwards.

Really looking forward to this event, to hearing the great list of speakers and meeting-up again with old friends.

Best regards

Michael

[last seen in Portsmouth in 1957 :o]

Likewise Michael, it will be good seeing you again. You will get the chance to see the M33 'in the flesh' and also the 'Myth and Memory' Gallipoli exhibition that the NMRN have extended. 

Sadly I can't make it, I will be in France & Flanders leading a tour.

Looking forward to it. Hope to meet a few pals there as well as Mr Hart.

Keith

On 10/2/2016 at 15:43, Krithia said:

Gallipoli ‘Evacuation’ Conference – 22nd October 2016

Get a move on Chaps!

only 11 tickets available (44 mins. ago)

Don't get left behind!

Edited by michaeldr

Dawn departure tomorrow

and will take advantage of the 'Attractions' ticket on Friday

Looking forward to meeting GWForumites

Have a great weekend everyone

regards

Michael

Michael

Sorry I won't get to meet you this month. Will you be able to join me for a glass of Taybeh next month?

Gareth,

I shall be back for the ceremonies at Beersheva on the 31st

so I should have recovered from my Blighty trip by the time the glass of Taybeh is poured

Please drop me a line with details and I shall be delighted to stand my round

All the best

Michael

• 2 months later...

Have the Wolfgang Schrader diaries been published or are available in some other fashion? (I am assuming in German.)  The photos? There are so few primary sources (except possibly in  Turkish) about the Turkish/German side of the conflict. 

• 2 weeks later...

Bob,

Send a PM to our forum member 'Krithia' [see the opening post above]

He was one of the organisers of the conference and he may be able to pass onto you contact details for Dr Jochen Schrader

regards

Michael