Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shell identity please

Trev2386

Can anyone identify the round in the attached photo's please? I know nothing about them whatsoever!!

Trev

image.jpeg

Shell is possibly pre WW1 with that style of banding.

John

If it is pre-war, then it's quite likely to be a naval round.  If so, it would originally have had a waterproof varnish coating ...  but in this case the projectile and the cartridge have clearly been separated, so the pointy bit may not be original.  A photo of the headstamp would be helpful.

Gunner,

not on this one, it's one of a pair sat in a mates cabinet. I took photo's of this one as it's the better one of the two,

Trev

Never seen that before. I assume the cases must have been taken from the production line before drilling.

John

That picture is the Base of the shell, not the cartridge case and looks to be stamped with an M and some sort of elongated V. A photo of the cartridge base would be good as it might give a clue to nationality, at least of the case.

1 hour ago, ServiceRumDiluted said:

That picture is the Base of the shell, not the cartridge case and looks to be stamped with an M and some sort of elongated V. A photo of the cartridge base would be good as it might give a clue to nationality, at least of the case.

SRD,

the picture is the base of the case, not the projectile. The other case has a struck cap, but no markings at all,

Trev

2 hours ago, Gunner Bailey said:

Never seen that before. I assume the cases must have been taken from the production line before drilling.

John

That would suggest an intentional DP ('drill purposes' - or other national equivalent) manufacture.

Though I thought it would be more usual to swage-form the primer pocket than drill it - easier to hold to the necessary tight tolerances.

Edited by MikB

Vickers/ Maxim practice/ training round ?

like MIKB suggested. 

Edited by GWF1967
Saw previous post

The stamping on the base of the cartridge case with no primer is in the position where the primer pocket would be machined out, which suggests that it was never intended to have a primer. 

Never seen that before, I assumed it was the shell base. Very unusual, but a drill round might explain the rather ragged neck.