Jump to content
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte Frank Silver, Gordon Highlanders: Derby scheme?


rolt968
 Share

Recommended Posts

Unfortunately there are few clues to the military career of Pte Frank Silver, 3999, 291172, 7 and 1/6 Gordon Highlanders.

He was born on 17 April 1876 and died of wounds on 22 November 1917 having been wounded two days earlier. His gratuity suggests that he enlisted in April 1916.

 

I wonder if he could have enlisted under the Derby Scheme. He would have been in Group 22 which was mobilised on 18 March 1916.

 

Is there anything in the above to suggest clearly one way or the other about the Derby Scheme?

 

Roger M

Edited by rolt968
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin

3994 David McKay Kirkcaldy enlisted 30th March 1915 No 4 Supernumerary Coy 7th RH Discharged 4th April 1916

3995 Peter McKinley Lochgelly enlisted 31st March 1915 at Kirkcaldy as above also discharged March 1916

4000 Robert Macgregor as above 24th April 1915 To 9th A & SH 15/4/1916

 

Seems these men were embodied in the TF in March 1915 and remained at 'home' until the Army took interest in them a year or so later.  As a group they appear to be older and some had previous regular service.  There are quite a few surviving records in the 39** series.

 

 

Ken

Edited by kenf48
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, kenf48 said:

3994 David McKay Kirkcaldy enlisted 30th March 1915 No 4 Supernumerary Coy 7th RH Discharged 4th April 1916

3995 Peter McKinley Lochgelly enlisted 31st March 1915 at Kirkcaldy as above also discharged March 1916

4000 Robert Macgregor as above 24th April 1915 To 9th A & SH 15/4/1916

 

Seems these men were embodied in the TF in March 1915 and remained at 'home' until the Army took interest in them a year or so later.  As a group they appear to be older and some had previous regular service.  There are quite a few surviving records in the 39** series.

 

 

Ken

Thanks Ken

Didn't the men you have listed enlist in the Black Watch? Frank Silver seems to have enlisted in 7 Gordon Highlanders (He lived in Kincardineshire - just!).

 

Do you think the 39xx numbers were used in many regiments for deferred enlistments?

 

Roger M

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Admin
29 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

Thanks Ken

Didn't the men you have listed enlist in the Black Watch? Frank Silver seems to have enlisted in 7 Gordon Highlanders (He lived in Kincardineshire - just!).

 

Do you think the 39xx numbers were used in many regiments for deferred enlistments?

 

Roger M

 

Yes they did, apologies seems I was fooled by the thread title.

 

3994/291168 Mackie was embodied / mobilized to 3/7th GH 25th March 1916, attested under Derby Scheme 25 November 1915. As was 

4003 McLeod attested 21/11/1915 mobilized/embodied to GH 28th March 1916

 

So yes, I guess your man attested under the Derby Scheme. There was some flexibility around the mobilisation date.

Mackie went to France 23/7/16 and was originally attached to an entrenching Bn before being posted 9/12/1916

 

Ken 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

Yes they did, apologies seems I was fooled by the thread title.

Ken 

 


Me too! :blink:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Apologies everyone! My fault! I had had a long session writing up two men from the same war memorial!  I had a senior moment.

 

I have now corrected the thread title!

 

Roger M

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...