Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visener Graben & Zwolfer Weg, Vimy

Beselare

I am researching Pte. William Johnstone Milne, VC, 16th Battn., Canadian Infantry.  Some members of his family are going to Vimy at the end of November and I am hoping to be able to show them where he won his VC - he was killed in the action.

The closest I can get from various sources is that his Company were held up by MG fire from Visener Graben and Zwolfer Weg, close to the main Arras/Lens road and it is in the process of silencing two machine-guns there that he won his VC and was killed.  Try as I might I cannot find the location of these two German positions.  Is there anyone who can help?  I have the N&MP CD Rom so I can work out trench co-ordinates if necessary.

Many thanks

Bob

Thanks John.  I found the relevant pages.  The extra information I found was that the Zwolfer Weg was beyond the Arras-Lens road but there is no clue as to its precise location and no maps.

Bob

No map? Did you read the post by rlaughton (2:23pm), including the detailed description of what happened?

Roel

Hello Roel - i read your post with great surprise.  I have had no postings from rlaughton and I do not know what I need to do to raise it.  Do you have any experience of this?

Bob

Bob,

I think Roel was referring to the CEF Reearch thread, linked by John in post #2 above.

It is about three quarters of the way down and contains this annotated map.

Phil

Path of Private Milne V.C..jpg

Message for John - my sincere apologies for missing your link.  It has satisfied all my queries

Many thanks

Bob

On 1-10-2016 at 13:01, Phil Evans said:

I think Roel was referring to the CEF Reearch thread, linked by John in post #2 above.

Thanks, Phil!

Roel