Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Relic at Maurepas

horrocks

I have managed not to notice this until it caught my eye this week. I can find no other mention of it on the forum, though I don't doubt it is here somewhere. It must be fairly unique in its status as an in-situ relic of the Somme fighting, and a vivid testament to the flaying power of artillery. I guess it is, or was, a well-head water tank.

20160928_0439_1024.jpg

20160928_0441_1024.jpg

20160928_0443_1024.jpg

20160928_0444_1024.jpg

Edited by horrocks

Fascinating - and reminds me of: "There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza..."!:thumbsup:

With what shall I mend it, dear Liza, Dear Liza?

Mike.

Hi  

There is a water tank in a similar condition at Mametz Wood looks like the ones used by railways.Nice photos there is still a lot of stuff around if you look for it besides munitions 

Regards Andy

Ah, the tanks are for watering the light railway engines, that makes complete sense.

Whereabouts in Mametz Wood is the other one you mention Andy?

Makes you appreciate that pretty much every cubic foot of fresh air was crossed by something fast and unpleasant at some point.

Hi Horrocks

If you  go down the track from Contalmaison and pass the Civilian cemetery on your left,continue down the track with the wood in front of you.The water tank is just to your right on the embankment. I believe there used to be a light railway at some point in the war.

Regards Andy

Yes, I walked along there last autumn, but somehow missed the tank. The hedgeline that runs up from the valley to the corner of the wood is indeed the course of the light railway, at times very recognisably so.