The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1920 Experimental Scarlet Tunic

gordon92

I happened upon this 1920 dated Experimental Scarlet Tunic for the Seaforth Highlanders for sale at: https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/candt-auctioneers/catalogue-id-srct10037/lot-129e00d8-bf70-4820-83b0-a67800fe4b56.

I thought it interesting to note that apparently there was some serious consideration to restoring limited Full Dress to the line regiments after the Great War.  Does anyone know the details of these deliberations?  Why did the War Office not move forward on this?  Cost presumably?  Has anyone seen any other experimental scarlet tunics such as for the standard line infantry regiments?

I would surmise that this tunic design was the inspiration for the Piper Green coatee adopted by the Highland regiments in the early 1950s for #1 Dress.

SH%20Experimental_zpssgcowvyb.jpgSH%20Experimental%202_zpsfcdww50l.jpg

21 hours ago, gordon92 said:

I happened upon this 1920 dated Experimental Scarlet Tunic for the Seaforth Highlanders for sale at: https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/candt-auctioneers/catalogue-id-srct10037/lot-129e00d8-bf70-4820-83b0-a67800fe4b56.

I thought it interesting to note that apparently there was some serious consideration to restoring limited Full Dress to the line regiments after the Great War.  Does anyone know the details of these deliberations?  Why did the War Office not move forward on this?  Cost presumably?  Has anyone seen any other experimental scarlet tunics such as for the standard line infantry regiments?

I would surmise that this tunic design was the inspiration for the Piper Green coatee adopted by the Highland regiments in the early 1950s for #1 Dress.

I have not come across this before, but if it has a 'sealed pattern' label then it would seem to be genuine.  You may well find deliberations on the re-adoption of full dress in the parliamentary records (Hansard) available online.  My understanding is that it was cost that ruled the re-adoption out, as Britain was in deep debt to the U.S. (and probably others) and the priority was rebuilding the National economy.

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I have not come across this before, but if it has a 'sealed pattern' label then it would seem to be genuine.  You may well find deliberations on the re-adoption of full dress in the parliamentary records (Hansard) available online.  My understanding is that it was cost that ruled the re-adoption out, as Britain was in deep debt to the U.S. (and probably others) and the priority was rebuilding the National economy.

Thanks for the lead on where to look for further info on this, FROGSMILE.  Will follow-up.

It's a very similar in style to the post WW2 Green doublet worn by Highland regiments. They had the tail mounted in the Regimental Facing colour, but the rest of the tunic was green. I wonder if the tunic above formed the basis of the later pattern?

31 minutes ago, gnr.ktrha said:

It's a very similar in style to the post WW2 Green doublet worn by Highland regiments. They had the tail mounted in the Regimental Facing colour, but the rest of the tunic was green. I wonder if the tunic above formed the basis of the later pattern?

That would be my supposition also.  The Piper Green coatee circa 1950s would have been cheaper to produce as it had facings only on the tails and the red dye, expensive in those days, was avoided.