Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Decipher Naval Record

Shiny

Hi All,

I've just downloaded this record and am struggling to read it.

I have found an old thread where @horatio2 explained HMS Island Prince was basically a holding ship for admin purposes (if I'm understanding that correctly) so what I'm wondering is what is the of the ship named below that on the attached record?

To me it looks like "White ???? for Ed???" 

On the left it looks like the particular services for which embarked says Ineligible 

On the second image it looks like the description of voyage is M of P and there is a ship number, does that mean anything to anyone?

Thanks for the help,

Michael

Record (Small).jpg

Record 2 (Small).jpg

M of P = Ministry of Pensions? Awarded disablement pension 8/3 per week from 4..3.19 to 2.9.19 then 12/ a week to 18.5.20

That sounds possible, are there any naval pension records out there? I'm wondering what happened.

On the first image could the second ship be White Vase?

Michael

I think it is the "White Oak" and the "Idaho" the crossings out are confusing the lettering, but I may be wrong!

The White Oak was an Auxiliary Patrol drifter operating in the Isle of White area, and "HMS Idaho" was I think the Auxiliary Patrol Base at Milford Haven named from a requisitioned yacht of the same name built in 1910.

Google them there is quite a lot of information on both names. I think the entry says "White Oak" from "Idaho", presumably as it is crossed out he never made the expected transfer.

Maybe a help, maybe not

Tony

Thanks a lot, I'll have a look at them.

If it helps any the man in question was from North Shields and was in the RNR. He enrolled on 7/9/16 and was demobbed 3/2/19 and has the British War Medal.

Thanks again,

Michael

From what you have described and the parts of the record posted, it would appear that his whole service was spent ashore, based on HMS ISLAND PRINCE (Admiralty Trawler No.62, ISLAND PRINCE, was the nominal parent ship) the North Shields naval base. This would explain the reason for non-qualification for the Victory Medal.

Thanks very much @horatio2 if he was shore based do you know what sort of work is he likely to have been doing?

Michael

Assuming he was a deckhand (Official number ****.DA), he could have been employed on any number of shoreside or harbour-based duties on trawlers/drifters of the Auxiliary patrol. If a trimmer/engineer ditto but with an engineering bias.

@horatio2 yes his number was DA, you have helped me with him in the past, before I got his record:

The number in the title of the previous thread was wrong.

I'm going to the library on Friday so I'll see if I can find any references to HMS Island Prince in the old newspapers. Is there anything else I should be looking for?

Michael