Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

proficiency pay?

anthony

On my great-uncles service record it says that in 1916 he was "granted 2nd class proficiency pay for.." and then the writing fades. What I would like help with is discovering what this means or what it might suggest. The records were clearly fire damaged so there are no clues as to what skill/aptitude he had acquired.

Anyone with any ideas?

Anthony :(

This could be for a variety of different skills such as marksman, machinegunner, gunlayer, scout/sniper, signaller, farrier, blacksmith, etc. Quite often, the skill was denoted by a badge on the forearm (or in certain cases,the upper-arm) of the tunic.

Dave.

Anthony,

Profiency pay is covered in the Royal Warrant for Pay in art. 1061 through 1079.

Although complicated Proficiency Pay can be had via two means.

a. virtue of rank

b. special qualifications

a. NCO's above Serj't were eligable for Class 1 (6d perdiem) and Corporals Class II (3d perdiem) provided they meet certain qualifications of art 1063, e.g. with colours at least two years, physically capable, third class certificate of education etc.

b. could be far more complicated and may or may not include skills Dave mentions, but usually did depending on Corps. Each Classes special skill qualifications were set periodically by the Army Council and could vary even over a year to a great extent.

Joe Sweeney

Thaks to both of you for your help. I knew it must have meant that you had to be proficient at something but your responses help fill in the gaps and give me someting to work on.

Cheers,

Anthony :D