Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

L/CPL Samuel Holmes Murray 1580 - South African Medical Corps 1916

KiwiMuzz

Looking for some help in finding information on my Great Grandfather (1580) L/CPL Samuel Holmes Murray, SAMC who died on 15.7.16 (aged 47) and is buried in KONDA IRANGI Cemetery, Tanzania(confirmed by CWGC). I wrote to the South African Nation Defence Force and got a copy of his Service Records, unfortunately they only sent a "Microsoft word" type document and not his actual service records. So all they told me was he attested 19.02.16 and Died in Service 15.07.16 at "Blackwater" and that is all that I have been able to find out. Seems to be very difficult to find any information on line, so an help, on why he was at "Blackwater" on that date or further information of any sort would be much appreciated.

Samuel was buried in Kondoa Irangi cemetery but was re-interred in Dar-Es-Salaam War Cemetery when the graves were concentrated there.  I have no proof as such but I would suspect that, rather than him having died in service 'at' Blackwater, that he died 'of' Blackwater (Fever), a horrible complication of malaria, at Kondoa Irangi.  Kondoa Irangi having been occupied by Van Deventer's force between 17th-19th April 1916.

Steve

Thanks SteveE for the information. I just had a look in more detail at the East African Campaign and the number of soldiers and civilians on both sides that died (mostly of disease) is staggering. I think you are right about "at Blackwater" should be by Blackwater Fever, I have tried to ask the SANDF for copies of the original service records but have not received a reply which might have confirmed for certain you were right. I have found a reference to him being in the 3rd Field Ambulance, South African Medical Corps, but haven't had any luck finding references to it yet.

Muzz

Hi SteveE, following some of the advise i have seen on other posts i visted the National Library and down loaded the War Diaries of the 3rd South African Field Ambulance (even witht the NZ exchange rate it was a good $7 spent!!) and found the reference that it was indeed Blackwater fever he died from at Kondoa Irangi. So you were spot on with your advice. Thanks Muzz

• 1 month later...

War Diary for 3rd Field Ambulance, 2nd Dvision which would be DeVenter at Kondoa. Possibly one of the graves shown at Kondoa cemetary.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/806f2800d69a40e195ae5f2e40aea69a

Reference: WO 95/5344/11
Description: 2 East African Division Divisional Troops; 3 East African Field Ambulance
Note: The pages in this item are part of a larger record (piece). The record has been split into smaller parts during the digitisation process.
Date: 1915 Dec - 1916 Feb
Held by: The National Archives, Kew
Legal status: Public Record
Closure status: Open Document, Open Description

Edited by KONDOA