Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

JAC or CHAPMAN on P.'07 bayonets

JMB1943

I thought that I would enlist the help of the Pals here to determine when & why the maker's stamp was changed from JAC to CHAPMAN.

My only example is a JAC (1 '16) but many of those that I have seen on auction sites are CHAPMAN, from 1917 & 1918.

Also, CHAPMAN is the only stamp on the P.1888 bayonets that I have seen.

Did the maker's stamp start as CHAPMAN in 1908, change to JAC and then revert to CHAPMAN ?

If we can find the earliest/latest dates of JAC/CHAPMAN, those questions should be answerable.

Regards,

JMB

Edited by JMB1943
Add text

28 minutes ago, JMB1943 said:

I thought that I would enlist the help of the Pals here to determine when & why the maker's stamp was changed from JAC to CHAPMAN.

JMB,

Here is my Chapman made Pattern 1907 Sword Bayonet with the hooked quillon still attached, front and reverse ricassos, issued in May 1910.

As you can see, Chapman's maker's mark is the earlier ' JAC ' for James A. Chapman.

The pommel is marked ' 3 RI ' for the 3rd Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment, plus 5379 being the bayonet's serial number.

Regards,

LF

front of chapman.jpg

reverse of Chapman.jpg

Here is  a 1908 and 1911 Chapman ,1911 is australian issue.

Mick

CHAPMAN MICKS 2B.jpg

CHAPMAN MICKS ROYAL IRISH FUSILERS.jpg

CHAPMAN 1911 2.jpg

CHAPMAN HOOK 5.jpg

Lancs/5th Batt/Mickjam,

Thanks for posting up photos of your JAC/Chapman examples---and nice examples they are too.

On 9/23/2016 at 15:33, JMB1943 said:

Also, CHAPMAN is the only stamp on the P.1888 bayonets that I have seen.

Please excuse the senior moment here, because I knew previously from Skennerton's book that Chapman did not make the P. '88 bayonet.  

Because P.'07's made by Chapman Ltd are now relatively scarce, I thought that I might trawl back through previous threads here on GWF & Ebay to try to gather some more examples.  This has so far produced the tabulation shown below, in the order discovered.

Marking         Date            Source

JAC               1 '16            JMB

JAC               5 '10            4th Lancs

JAC              11 '08           5th Batt

Chapman      10 '18           5th Batt

Chapman      10 '16           Ebay

Chapman        9 '17           Ebay

Chapman        5 '15           Shipping Steel

JAC              12 '08           Tocemma

JAC                6 '09           Shipping Steel

JAC              12 '08           Mickjam

JAC                7 '11           Mickjam           

There does seem to be some consistency, with "JAC" being used until early 1916 and "CHAPMAN" thereafter.  However, the Chapman dated 5 '15 obviously does not fit the pattern.  Fortunately, there are still many, many GWF threads left to check.........

Regards,

JMB 

Edited by JMB1943
typo

Senior moments? Well, we are allowed those! But where was SS's 5/15 posted? May it have been mis-read? 5/18? 

By the way,  thanks to my daughter I did check out both the Sanderson and Chapman factory locations in Sheffield, but nothing left at either (although the Sanderson site had some very interesting other sights!). The daughter also put me in touch with the archivist for the Sheffield Cutlers but I haven't yet followed that up to see if they have anything at all on either JAChampan or Sanderson...  

Julian

PS: JMB, a very late reply email to follow this week sometime!

Edited by trajan
Add PS

Yes, there can't be any doubt on that one - thanks for pointing me to it.

Best,

Trajan

Well, I have finally trawled the Arms pages (not completely, but exhaustively; i.e. my eyes are exhausted) and believe that there are enough examples of both JAC & CHAPMAN to define the trend.

JAC (11)            CHAPMAN (9)

11   '08                    1   '12

2 x 12   '08                    5   '15

3   '09                    9   '16

6   '09                  10   '16

8   '09                    9   '17

5   '10                    5   '18

7   '11                    8    '18

12   '15                  10    '18

1   '16                   11   '18

3   '16

Some overlap in the period 1912-16, but JAC was the early mark up to 1916 'ish and thereafter it was CHAPMAN.

Regards,

JMB

Given how they were relatively small producers, it is interesting that they mixed these two stamps this much. Now, the real challenge (when eyes recover!) - any consistency in the inspection marks? Same numbers/initials?

Best,

Julian

Trajan,

Unfortunately, only 8 of these 20 had inspector stamps that were clear enough to record unambiguously.

I can say that "4H" might be associated with JAC, not CHAPMAN, but that is it.  Again, too few samples to draw any further conclusions.

Regards,

JMB

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2016 at 21:10, Lancashire Fusilier said:

JMB,

Here is my Chapman made Pattern 1907 Sword Bayonet with the hooked quillon still attached, front and reverse ricassos, issued in May 1910.

As you can see, Chapman's maker's mark is the earlier ' JAC ' for James A. Chapman.

The pommel is marked ' 3 RI ' for the 3rd Battalion The Royal Irish Regiment, plus 5379 being the bayonet's serial number.

Regards,

LF

front of chapman.jpg

reverse of Chapman.jpg

I have a stablemate, with quillon removed.FullSizeRender.jpgba_zpsfyvgujtf.jpgFullSizeRender.jpgn_zpshvb0mncy.jpgFullSizeRender.jpgg_zpsclzc3q9o.jpgFullSizeRender_zps7rl7idjo.jpgFullSizeRender.jpgmn_zpsn38srnwu.jpg

Frog is marked SRG and Rhodesian Leather Industries and "named".FullSizeRender.jpgva_zpsyhpctzs5.jpgFullSizeRender.jpgx_zpseao8t8g0.jpgFullSizeRender.jpg8_zpslckx2szk.jpg

GWF,

Thanks for posting that, I'll add to my list. Has interesting markings on pommel; any thoughts ?

Regards,

JMB

9 hours ago, JMB1943 said:

GWF,

Thanks for posting that, I'll add to my list. Has interesting markings on pommel; any thoughts ?

Regards,

JMB

Nope, I'll have a stab at the R.E mark. 

10 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

FullSizeRender_zps7rl7idjo.jpg

Can't recall ever seeing one like that before! I realise that the frog and bayonet need not necessarily belong to together from the first issue, but perhaps this is some specific Rhodesian marking? 

7 hours ago, 5thBatt said:

07HookyMKGs.jpg

The 1918

OTCMKGS.jpg

My guess on the first of these is that there is an 'I' lightly struck at the end of the top line, so giving 'W.Y.I' for West Yorkshire Infantry (the 'Kings Own') - with 'R.R.' for 'Regimental Reserve'?

Second is 'Officer Training Corps / Nottingham University'

Julian

PS: All good thoughts bayonet lovers for poor old JMB who lives in the path of the Hurricane Michael...:o

JMB

Only have one Chapman P'07, in not very good condition.  Marked CHAPMAN, the date stamp is for December 1916, the pommel has the number 132, which has been stamped over with a line through the numerals.

Mike.

While cleaning up my files I found this one which I then discovered I posted at: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?/topic/231764-two-nice-unit-marked-hqs/#comment-2307930

An 05/10 JAC, marked for the Royal Jersey Militia

5 10 JAC 01.jpg5 10 JAC 02.jpg

Edited by trajan
Get rid of two-level posting of photographs, one below the other

Thanks all for posting the additional photos & examples; they do confirm the pattern of JAC to 1916'ish and CHAPMAN thereafter.

Regards,

JMB

Hurricane: We are 6 miles inland & the eye of the hurricane was 1 mile offshore, so we dodged the pointed end ! The blunt end brought down trees which cut the power lines, so no power from 10 am Fri to 9pm Sun; no internet until 11am today. Overall, very thankful that we didn't have to suffer what the people of New Orleans did during the Katrina saga.

Mk VII,

Thanks for the info; I'll add it to my database. Are you sure that the 5B/E and 58/E are different ?

Regards,

JMB

• 1 year later...

And here for you all to raise a mournful glass to as an example of Turkish bayonet cleaning methods is a 5/15 CHAPMAN... Over here they are very good at using the grinder for removing 'rust', aka patina, using a grinder. Not the first example of the method I have seen by a long shot... Wanted to cry when I saw this...

IMG_6270 (1).JPG

On 9/25/2016 at 15:07, JMB1943 said:

Lancs/5th Batt/Mickjam,

Thanks for posting up photos of your JAC/Chapman examples---and nice examples they are too.

Please excuse the senior moment here, because I knew previously from Skennerton's book that Chapman did not make the P. '88 bayonet.  

Because P.'07's made by Chapman Ltd are now relatively scarce, I thought that I might trawl back through previous threads here on GWF & Ebay to try to gather some more examples.  This has so far produced the tabulation shown below, in the order discovered.

Marking         Date            Source

JAC               1 '16            JMB

JAC               5 '10            4th Lancs

JAC              11 '08           5th Batt

Chapman      10 '18           5th Batt

Chapman      10 '16           Ebay

Chapman        9 '17           Ebay

Chapman        5 '15           Shipping Steel

JAC              12 '08           Tocemma

JAC                6 '09           Shipping Steel

JAC              12 '08           Mickjam

JAC                7 '11           Mickjam           

There does seem to be some consistency, with "JAC" being used until early 1916 and "CHAPMAN" thereafter.  However, the Chapman dated 5 '15 obviously does not fit the pattern.  Fortunately, there are still many, many GWF threads left to check.........

Regards,

JMB 

Posted the last one in haste because - as usual - up to the eyes with things... Then went back a bit on the thread and saw this list. Hmmm.. The one over here is an 05/15 so anothet that does not quite fit the profile... Interesting... More fun there JMB me old mate!

Trajan,

Thanks for the latest example.

I must admit to being curious about the timing of the apparent switch from JAC to (largely) Chapman in 1916.

We know that Wilkinson went to Wilkinson Pall Mall in the same year.

Coincidence?

Or did Chapman seek greater visibility for their war effort ?

Regards,

JMB