Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Map of Belgium

alan jones

Hello , can somebody please suggest the equivalent of an ordnance survey map or similar  to buy or download . I am trying to follow a route on a war diary which starts at Wytschaete-Messine Ridge , then takes in :

Petit Pont

KemmelHill

Neuve Eglise 

Freezen Berg 

Vaux Vraucourt

Favrieul

Beaunatre

Sapignes

Bihucourt

Achiet Le petit

Courcelles Au Bois

Frohen Le Grand

Collincamps

Beausart

Hannescamp

Sorry if the list is a bit long but I ideally want to find the direction .

Any help much appreciated 

Regards

Alan

Alan,

You don't say whether you want to physically plot the locations as you read through, but if not, try using the National Library of Scotland trench maps.

It has the advantage that you can change the transparency of the overlay to show the modern map underneath. Also, where they have them, you can change the date of the map. It will also extend down into France to allow you to follow all the places on your list. It probably has quite a few other functions that I've never tried out as well.

Start here.

Phil

I forgot to say, scroll wheel to zoom in and out, as I zoomed it right in to give you your start point. Hold down left button to drag it around. If you want a simple OS type map, instead of the default Bing Hybrid, change the background map to OpenStreetMap. It is far less cluttered.

Phil

Hi,

Only the 3 first names are in Belgium.

Try with Google itinerary, even if some places names are misspelled ( like Sapignes  for  Sapignies), you'll be helped when typing the first letters, the places choosen by the web engine are often close to the previous ( like Sapignies when you are at Bihucourt, or "Vaulx" instead of Vaux).

Nothing between Neuve-Église, Heuvelland, Belgium ( close to the French border) and Vaulx-Vraucourt, some 100km southern?

Of course, that's true for modern towns names France and Belgium, if not use the map given by Phil, Petit Pont for instance is 2 km South-East from Neuve-Eglise, the farm is on the Flanders-Wallonia "border".

In that order : https://goo.gl/maps/HuDHzitxDL92

Alain

Edited by alain dubois

Alan

Alternatively you can use Google maps. Divide the route into sections and print out or have the details sent to your phone or tablet which will link to the map.

Just out of interest I was  at Vaulx Vraucourt a few weeks ago. If you need any assistance with the place let me know.

TR (another Coventrian)

Edited by Terry_Reeves

Hello Terry , thanks for that idea , I will certainly have a look at it . I think it will take some time plotting my grandad's course through the war with 59th Siege, it certainly covers some area . At first I thought I would get a nice map and pencil in the routes but it will be a longer job than that . 

A couple of mentions about where you were last week in Vaulx Vraucourt.

Feb 28th 1918 Battery went into action in Sunken Rd north of Vaulx -Vraucourt . Wagon lines at Courcelles-Les -C0mpte .Battery ordered to remain silent .

March 22nd 1918 Battery pulled out from Vaulx at 02.00hours and wentinto action in prepared position at Beugnatre 3000 yardsin rear, fired 500 rounds , pulled out at 15.00 hours and went into action at Sapignies.

3 O.R.'s wounded  4 O.R.'s shell-shock .

Regards

Alan

On 17/9/2016 at 17:38, alan jones said:

Hello , can somebody please suggest the equivalent of an ordnance survey map or similar  to buy or download . I am trying to follow a route on a war diary which starts at Wytschaete-Messine Ridge ,

Regards

Alan

I find Michelin maps very useful for this kind of research: https://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

Michael

For French places, have a look at my reply here and my reply #5 in that thread.

Gwyn

Edited by Dragon