Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3rd GHQ MT Coy Diary Jan 1918-Nov 1918 where is it?

Skipman

Thanks to Phil Evans I have now found, and downloaded,  WO 95/130/5 the war diary for No 3 GHQ Ammunition Park (51 Coy) from August 1914-December 1917. The diary for Jan 1918-Nov 1918 seems to be missing. No 3 GHQ Ammunition Park (51 Coy) changed to 3 GHQ Reserve MT Company at some point. Might the diary be under that, and can anyone find it. If not where is it?

Mike

Mike,

Similar came up again the other day - here

I think some of the problem is the way the physical files are held at Kew, probably dating back to the days when they were deposited there. The other problem is the constant restructuring and moving around within the ASC. If Michael Young says it is in there and you have a full subscription for downloading diaries, just go for it and then sift through.

I have actually gone through some of them at Kew over the years and it has been hard going.

Phil

Hi Phil, thanks very again for your help.

If Michael Young says it is in there and you have a full subscription for downloading diaries, just go for it and then sift through.

I have a subscription to Ancestry for diaries, are the ASC ones available there. I don't see GHQ ASC diaries in there. Or, do you mean you can buy a subscription to the National Archives (hadn't heard of that)

Mike

Mike,

I don't have Ancestry these days, so I don't know if it is there. Is there a time lag before they get them?

The National Archives doesn't do subscription and I'm sure you don't want to spend the best part of £30 on the off chance.

Phil

Thanks again Phil. I think there must be a time lag, though they may be in there somewhere. I can see Divl ammunition columns and various. Problem is I'm not certain what I'm looking for. There's no great rush so I dare say I will happen upon it at some point, or, some kind soul might find it and let me know. You were right that the 3rd GHQ Amm Park diary is dry. It does give a rough idea of what they were up to but very short on detail. The diarist seems more interested in commenting on the political and military situation.

Mike

2 hours ago, Skipman said:

Hi Mike,

You are of course correct once again.

I did look up this index a few months back and found that only ASC companies attached to divisions, like supply columns were listed.

My interest is in Corps Siege Parks, those specific MT companies that were attached to Corps and lugged the gims and big ammo around.

Unfortunately, those aren't on Ancestry, but it's no great shakes, as they can be downloaded direct from TNA for £3.45.

I had misremembered the reason for me not finding what I needed, as a total absence of ASC stuff!

• 3 weeks later...

The diaries for units within divisions were digitised first, and the corps-and-above diaries only followed about a year ago, if not less. It is possible that Ancestry will get those in due course.

Here are the relevant references:

WO 95/130 3 General Headquarters Ammunition Park (51 Company A.S.C.) 1914 Aug. - 1917 Dec.  
WO 95/134 Reserve Mechanical Transport Company   
WO 95/134 No.3 (51 Company A.S.C.) 1918 Jan. - 1919 Nov.  

In each case there are several similar diaries in the file.

Ron

As far as I can make out, WO 95/134 comprises of the following:

WO 95/134/1

No.1 GHQ Reserve MT Company (68 Company ASC)

1st Jan. 1918 to 31st Dec. 1918

WO 95/134/2

ditto

1st Jan. 1919 to 23rd Oct. 1919

WO 95/134/3

No. 2 GHQ Reserve MT Company (56 Company ASC)

26th March 1918 to 31st March 1919

WO 95/134/4

No. 3 GHQ Reserve MT Company (51 Company ASC)

1st Jan. 1918 to 30th Oct. 1919

WO 95/134/5

No. 4 GHQ Reserve MT Company (72 Company ASC)

23rd Nov. 1917 to 30th Sept. 1919

WO 95/134/6

No. 5 GHQ Reserve MT Company (400 Company ASC)

1st Dec. 1917 to 30th Aug. 1919

WO 95/134/7

No. 6 GHQ Reserve MT Company (399 Company ASC)

1st Jan. 1918 to 31st Dec. 1918

WO 95/134/8

ditto

1st Jan. 1919 to 17th Oct. 1919

Edited by Phil Evans
WO 85/130 incorrectly entered. Now corrected to WO 95/134

Many thanks again Phil. I'm sure you will be correct and I wonder if there's any more detail in this diary than there is in the (very sparse) other ones? It does however give me an idea of where my man was serving, and there is also some great weather information in them, which is always of interest.

Thanks again Mike

Thanks Phil. I'm trying to pm you but for some reason there are two required fields that will not allow me to input text and I cannot pm you?

Mike

Edited by Skipman