Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private James Conway Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders

Incredibledisc

I thought I would start this thread to share my research into one of my relatives.

James Conway was my 2nd great Uncle. He was born in Glasgow in 1888 to John and Sarah Conway. The family moved to Falkirk and then back to Glasgow for a spell before finally settling in Stirling where James worked as a coal miner at the Milhall Colliery. He joined the territorial army on the 3rd of May 1912 as part of the 7th Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. He was embodied on the 5th of August 1914. His father also enlisted- he claimed on his enlistment form to be only 34 years and 6 months despite actually being 49! He was declared unfit for military service in 1915 and invalided out. James was initially also found unfit for overseas service but later his health apparently improved enough to gain seven days Field Punishment no.2 on the 8th August 1916. By New Year 1917 he would find himself being shipped out to the front.

James’ unit the 1/7th left Folkestone for Calais on the 2nd of January 1917 and arrived at the British Army depot at Etaples on the 5th of January. James was one of 120 men assigned to the 1/8th Argylls as replacements for men killed and wounded in action on the 20th January. They remained in training in the rear until February when they began their journey to the front line. The unit arrived in the trenches at Roclincourt around 2.30pm on the 11th of February. They stayed there until the morning of the 17th when they were withdrawn to the support trenches where they provided men for working parties until the 27th. The men stayed in huts at Ecoivres on the 27th and 28th where they were allowed to have baths. The battalion remained on rest until the 3rd of March where they went back to the trenches at Roclincourt.  On the 5th of March 1917 the Battalion War Diary lists three men killed and two men wounded.  One of these was James. The other two men killed were, Private 303105, Andrew Chalmers and Private 300755 Stanley Holman from Reigate in Surrey. All three men are buried in Maroeuil British Cemetery in France. Given the small number of dead and wounded it is unlikely that the unit was involved in an attack and more likely that the men died as a result of “wastage” that is, killed by random shelling or sniper fire.  His death was reported in the Stirling Observer on April 7th and a few days later a letter from James’ commanding officer, Captain McCallum, giving some more information was also published. As was common, Captain McCallum did not go into graphic detail about what happened and is at pains to stress that James died quickly and without suffering – the truth was probably far less comforting. James left behind his wife, Helen and two sons, John and James. On the 3rd of April 1917, James' younger brother, my great grandfather, John Conway would also join the army but I'll save his story for another thread.

James conway photo.jpg

Gallery page with documents here

Anyone know how I can upload .pdf documents? I have some other documents but as they aren't photos I can't add them to the gallery.

It would be a shame to lose all this research Bill, so might be worth copying it to "Soldiers", because ,"Remembering them" posts are cleared after 30 days.

On 15/09/2016 at 23:26, Incredibledisc said:

Gallery page with documents here

Funny you should say that - was just in the process of doing exactly that! Great minds think alike and all that :D

• 3 years later...

Bringing this back to life, I'm currently researching the 8th Argylls, and have started looking at the 3 lads killed (according to the battalion war diary on the 5th March 1917) on the 6th March 1917. James Conway was, for a wee while the one I couldn't locate as the CWGC have him down as a member of his parent battalion the 7th.

I'd love to quote your post above about your great uncle would you be happy for me to do so? I'll acknowledge the family as the source.

My interest in the 8th Argyll's is that my granddad, also a Stirling laddie (as am I), served in that battalion from September 15 to March 19.

Iain.

Iain, the original poster hasn't visited the Forum since October 2018, so is unlikely to see your post. You could message him through the Forum machinery, which might give him a notification via email.

Thanks Steven, I've messaged him via another forum also so here's hoping