Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Praise for the National Archives of Canada

Gary Samson

Having discovered that one of the men on the memorial I'm researching(Woodchurch, Kent) enlisted for the CEF, I wrote to the National Archives of Canada asking for a full copy of his service record if it existed. A large envelope arrived this morning containing 28 pages of excellent quality photocopies covering 925219 Private Arthur George Beck's entire albeit brief military career for a modest CAN$16. I appreciate that for the more experienced researchers amongst us this is probably comes as no surprise but I was extremely impressed by the courtesy and with the service I received from staff at the Canadian archives.

Gary

Similar praise from me - about six months ago I sent for five copy files of various men I was researching and gave them my visa card details with some concern as to what the total cost would be ... it turned out to be about C$40 and a great service. The Australian National Archives are just as reasonable.

The service files of the men are a wonderful resource that I highly recommend using, which obviously go far beyond the attestation papers available online, for most men now.

I have moved on to War Diaries. Here in Canada, I am allowed to order the one I want on microfilm to be delivered from Ottawa to my local library. Then I can view it at my leisure and print out the sheets that I need. I don't think they can do this outside Canada, however.

Has anybody ever attempted to order photocopies of war diaries, and how did this turn out?

Check out http://www.archives.ca/02/020203/02020303_e.html about RG 9 III D 3 for details about the microfilm.

Broz

Just received war diary extracts for two of my war memorial researchees. Took about 6 weeks. No charge !

That's what I call service. Well done, the colonials !

I've checked out the attestation papers (one of the two is available) but didnt know you could order service records, though. Might give this a try.

John

B)

Guest Hill 60
I was extremely impressed by the courtesy and with the service I received from staff at the Canadian archives.

I echo Gary's comments about the NA of C's staff. I have even had phone calls from them whilst I was helping my Nan get a replacement set of medals (1915 Trio) after her father's were lost in a house fire.

I can't sing their praises enough :D

I echo all the above praise for the National Archives of Canada.

I requested and received free of charge, 2 high quality paper copies from the First World Book of Remembrance showing the entries of two men from my village who served with the CEF. They also sent a copy from the first page of the remembrance book on quality photographic paper.

Extract from accompanying letter:

Inscribed on this page is the name of Corporal Donald McMillan, 2nd Battalion. A grateful nation recognises his sacrifice every year on January 26th, when this page is displayed for public viewing in the Memorial Chamber of the Parliament of Canada.

post-3-1053243753.jpg

Guest Hill 60
I requested and received free of charge, 2 high quality paper copies from the First World Book of Remembrance showing the entries of two men from my village who served with the CEF.

If you goto the following link you'll be able to view and print copies of the pages in this book, there is also a cemetery plan included.

Virtual Memorial

A grateful nation recognises his sacrifice every year on January 26th, when this page is displayed for public viewing in the Memorial Chamber of the Parliament of Canada.

Every morning, a guard goes in and turns a page in the Book of Remembance, so that a fresh list is viewable. The Memorial Chamber in which the book is located has a special aura to it. Recommended if you ever get to Ottawa. (The National Archives are only a few blocks away!)