Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medical Units around Festubert

robvaughan1005

I been research my gf involvement in the battle of Loos and have covered quite a lot of it.

I was in Arras a few weeks ago and someone mentioned if i looked at the medical  units who were operating in the area (Festubert, Givenchy)  on the 25th Sept 1915 as he was wounded and discharged in 1916

Would be grateful for any assistance or advice to get me in the right direction  

I have attached a web link of what happened (for my family)  9th Royal Welch Fusiliers 1915

sam medal card.JPG

Edited by robvaughan1005
more info

Rob,

I can see from your blog you’ve done more than most on previous research. As far as the medical side and Samuel’s possible evacuation from the field is concerned there are a few remaining resources.

Sam Vaughan shows up on the Casualty List on 14/10/1915, report received 4/10/1915. There is no more info other than it confirms he was wounded with the 9/RWF, his number has been typoed as 13196. No details of his injury.

I’m guessing you have an ancestry account so I’ll provide direct links where available.

9/RWF were with 19th Division, therefore you’d do well to read the diary for the 19th Division Assistant Director Medical Services (ADMS). I’ve had a quick look and there are Advanced Dressing Stations and aid posts mentioned (ADSs & RAPs). There is an Operation Order which gives locations for each unit and parts of the evacuation process. As a bonus there is an upsidedown but otherwise decent map showing the ADSs, RAPs, other Dressing Stations and the routes to be taken. Assuming you know where his start off trench was and where his objectives were you have a good chance of finding the closest RAP and therefore which ADS he went to. I can add they started with an ADS at MARAIS and two more further north (south of LA COURTE) but then added others at MESPLAUX and the tobacco factory at LOCON.

I would start at 1/9/1915 but check the appendices at the end of month eg from pages 41 to 69

19 Div ADMS

There are also diaries for each of the three field ambulances of the 19th division. Each field ambulance is split into sections who may be manning, bearer posts, RAPs, ADSs and setting up new ones.

To get a really good view of what was happening to have to read and cross-ref (with a good map to hand) all the information from the ADMS and the three FA diaries. You may pick up on which CCS or Hospital he went to.

57FA     58FA    59FA

I'll add that the diary for the 59 FA has a few nice plans of the ADS at MESPLAUX, well worth checking pages 15-45 or so.

There's plenty to keep you going for a while in the above but there is another diary for the Indian Corps Deputy Director Medical Services who issued orders to the 19th Div ADMS. This may have even more!!

Sadly, it's not on ancestry, I'm fairly sure it's  WO 95/1093 which will cost £3.45 from TNA

Come back with any more queries.

TEW

There is also (just to keep you busy) quite a lot of detail in the 19th Division Headquarters diary.

16 pages of 'normal diary' and then 172 pages of appendices covering all of September 1915.

Plus a list of medical posts, reproduced below.

TEW

Clipboard01.jpg