Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trouble finding Battalions

Cam_s

Hello All,

I have been having trouble finding the following battalion's reference numbers on TNA.

- 1/4 The Queen's Own (Royal West Kent Regiment) - I can find the other "/ 4" Battalions but not the 1/4th.

- 1st Garrison Battalion South Staffordshire Regiment.

Any help in finding the call numbers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any help,

Cam

1/4th seem to have served only in India - any diary they had would not have been digitised but I'm not sure that units in India were required to complete a war diary.

Craig

But they should still have a war diary in the Archives. I can't find any reference to them when I search through the Discovery Portal.

Cam

Thanks Chris, much appreciated. The link takes me to a University login page?

I have been using the war diary for the 1/4th R W Kents and attach some notes:

War Diary, 1/4th R West Kent R, May – Sept 1919, WO95/5412:

INDIA

BALUCHISTAN FORCE

4 (IND) DIVISION

57 INFANTRY BDE

4 BN QUEENS OWN ROYAL WEST KENT REGT

1919 MAY - 1919 SEPT

FROM UK TO INDIA OCT 1914

CO of battalion at time of hostilities: Lieut. Col. C. B. Robb

6/5/19              Mobilization Orders received.

13/5/19            Battalion left Quetta in two trains. Camped at Killa Abdullah

18/5/19            Marched to Shelabagh near SE entrance of Kojak Tunnel.

19/5/19            Reached Chaman. Units assembled here to create Baluchistan Field Force, under the command of Maj.Gen. N.G. Woodyatt CB.

26/5/19            Orders received that 4th (Quetta) Division would cross Afghan border and attack and capture Spin Baldak the following day.

27/5/19            Division moved from camp at 0400 hours.

4 RWK involved in the right infantry attack commanded by Bde.Gen. J.T.R. Gordon CB. The other infantry battalion was the 1/129th Baluchistan Infantry. The objective for this column was (i) to attack the Spin Baldack position from the east, advance up the ridge and capture the Tower on it, (ii) to attack the east face of the fort.

This operation entaild a detour of several miles followed by an advnace over sandy desert. Attack led by 4 RWK who advanced in four succesive company lines, A, B, C, D. Battalion entered fort at about 16-30 hours. The day was very hot. The remainder of evening spent preparing fort for defence. Some enemy Afghans were concealed in chambers and recesses.

Casualties:

Killed                           200228            Sgt       W. Haines

Died of wounds            201556            Pte       C. Ellis

201479            Pte       C.J. Andrews

200093            Bdm     Britter

Wounded                     Capt                             H.W. Styles

200798            Pte       J. West

204325            Pte       E.A. Locke

201520            Pte       E. Ford

8/6/19              Battalion marched back to Chaman

9/8/19              Worked on outer perimeter of Chaman defences. Allocated strong point No.9 and lunettes Nos. 17 and 18. Also furnished pickest for inner defences.

31/7/19            Returned to Spin Baldack garrison

8/8/19              News received that Afghan delegats had signed the Peace Terms – including the handing back of Fort Spin Baldack and all occupied territory on the Chaman front.

14/8/19            Spin Baldack Fort evacuated. Formal handing over at 11-00 hours.

11/9/19            Battalion entrained at Chaman for Quetta – returned to peace footing.

Mark

Edited by MAW