Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Identity of publication

depaor01

Hi all,

Anyone able to identify the publication that this page is taken from? The early dates and shamrock motifs indicate to me it may be from an Irish school Roll of Honour. I know one of the officers went to Columba's College, but I can't find similar pages in their magazine.

Thanks,

Dave.

ggf2.jpg

Edited by depaor01
spelling

It is a page from the College of St. Columba Roll of Honour 1914-1918. The Naval and Military Press published a fac simile edition, and still have copies.

For those outside Ireland, St. Columba's is a public (i.e. private) school in south County Dublin.

Michael

Edited by Michael Pegum

• 1 month later...

Apologies for the delay in replying. It's easy to miss a contribution when you use 'see unread content' as I do.

Thanks for that Michael. I'll check with Columbas.

Dave

Dave I have a copy here if you want any pics.

Cheers.

Tom.

That page would be great Tom. I may be coming into the possession of the Finlay brothers' medals and a good copy of that page would be a great thing to have.

Thanks,

Dave

They both appear in 'Our Heroes', with biographical notes and different photographs from those in the Columba's Roll. I have an original copy, so the photographs are of better quality. Would you like scans of them?

The entry in the War List of Trinity College for Robert Alexander Finlay says that he entered the College in 1910, and joined the 5th Battalion, the Royal Dublin Fusiliers in August, 1914, not having graduated. He was later attached to the 1st Royal Irish Fusiliers. However, 'Our Heroes' says that he had been gazetted to the 3rd. R.D.F. in July, 1913, suggesting that he had dropped out of College to join the Army as a career soldier (a degree in Trinity took, and still takes, four years). I expect you are getting the records from Kew.

A search on irishwarmemorials.ie shows that the brothers are commemorated in several places.

Michael

I would go for Michaels offer, he has an original. You are welcome to the book I have, it a N@MPress copy.

Thanks for those details. I might visit St. Columba's with my scanner to get a best quality TIFF. I've spoken to them before about archival matters.

Dave

These are two different books. I also have a N & M copy of the Columba's Roll, but the College probably has an original.

'Our Heroes' was a book of photographs and biographical notes of men involved in the war up to July 1916. Most, but not all, were officers and most were casualties, but awards of major decorations to survivors were included (e.g. V.Cs.). My copy was bought by my grandmother, as my grandfather appears in it.

Here is a low-resolution scan of the page with Robert Finlay. I can send a much larger image file if you give me an e-mail address.

Michael

Our Heroes p.85.jpg

Edited by Michael Pegum

Thanks for that link, Dave. I was glad to see my cousin, Joseph Pegum, mentioned there.

Michael