Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nieppe Forest 1918

Laurent

Hi, someone could tell me which regiments work in Nieppe Forest (near Merville. St Venant. Caloone) in 1918. Thank you.

The Brtitish 5th Division entered Nieppe Forest on 12th April, 1918. The Division made its way through to the eastern edge and established a 2000 yard front facing Merville. The 13th Brigade took a major role on this day. (1st Royal West Kents, 2nd King's Own Scottish Borderers, 14th and 15th Royal Warwicks (1st & 2nd B'ham).

The other two Brigades in the division were: - 15th Brigade (1st Norfolks, 1st bedfords, 1st Cheshire, 16th Royal Warwick (3rd B'ham)

95th Brigade (1st Devon, 1st East Surrey, 1st Duke of Cornwalls Light Inf., 12th Gloucesters) Divisional Pioneer Bn were the 6th Argyl and Sutherland Highlanders.

The Division held the line in this region until August.

As you can see the 5th Division had not undergone any reorganisation like many others. It kept its four battalions to a brigade until October, 1918.

Do yo need any more info regarding the division's activities.?

Terry

Terry,

I am very interested in left wing of 95th frontline: I do own the diaries from 1st DCLI (22April -3 May 1918). Do you have any more whatsoever information about 1 st DCLI? For example do you know which RFA units were supporting DCLI, and do you have diaries/any other information of them; particular interest is 1st May 1918. Another question: did Argyll- and Sutherland Companies form with only these 2 companies the Divisional Pioneer Bn?

Sorry Egbert

I do not have the answers to you querie. I only have info regarding the Three Birmingham battalions who saw service in the area.

Terry

The Brtitish 5th Division entered Nieppe Forest on 12th April, 1918. The Division made its way through to the eastern edge and established a 2000 yard front facing Merville. The 13th Brigade took a major role on this day. (1st Royal West Kents, 2nd King's Own Scottish Borderers, 14th and 15th Royal Warwicks (1st & 2nd B'ham).

The other two Brigades in the division were: - 15th Brigade (1st Norfolks, 1st bedfords, 1st Cheshire, 16th Royal Warwick (3rd B'ham)

95th Brigade (1st Devon, 1st East Surrey, 1st Duke of Cornwalls Light Inf., 12th Gloucesters) Divisional Pioneer Bn were the 6th Argyl and Sutherland Highlanders.

The Division held the line in this region until August.

As you can see the 5th Division had not undergone any reorganisation like many others. It kept its four battalions to a brigade until October, 1918.

Do yo need any more info regarding the division's activities.?

Terry

thank you for this information...i am looking for informations about companie forest regiment (?!?) who work in Nieppe forest from 1914 to 1918. Thank you.

• 14 years later...

My great uncle died in the battle of the neippe forest he was in the 1st devonshires transfered from 20th hussars he died on may 2nd 1918.we will visit this year.. 

20171117_234216.png

Egbert there were very brave people ,we owe it them to visit  where they were sacrificed ' we understand it could of been gas that killed alot of his regiment..My great  uncle is buried in morbeque

Neil and Egbert,

There is an excellent walk around the Forest which takes in an estaminet kept in its original state, a V1 rocket launching station, and two CWGC cemeteries, Le Vert Galant and Morbeque (?).

The forest itself is one the largest pieces of military archaeology left on the  Western Front.  The British and French used it as a source of timber for their trenches.

Neil, true words. did you happen to read my GFs story? You find the link in my signature line below.

The forest was gassed by the Germans almost daily, as the gas settled longer between the bushes and trees.

@Hedley - I did not know that the forest housed a V1 launch pad. Do you have the co-ordinates by chance? A plan of mentioned walk around?

In and around Nieppe Forest there are 12 WW1 British bunkers from 1918, some showing signs of shell damage and some in good condition. Also Nieppe Bois  British cemetery and others in the vicinity. There are also a few WW2, and more at Bois de Huit Rues, including the V1 site. These are identifiable as being much larger than those from WW1.

The WW1 bunkers each have a picture and GPS reference in Armageddon's Walls.

Peter

Edited by mebu

Egbert, I may have got my wires crossed slightly.  It's in the Bois de Huit Rues.  I am now on my second house move in six months and all my guide books and most of my maps are packed away.  Details of the V1 site can be found here:

http://www.webmatters.net/txtpat/?id=333

The walk has been discussed here before, but many years ago.  I cannot find it now.  You can find details in one of the two FFR walking guides which cover the area - Nord or Flandres.  Sorry I cannot be more help.  Fred van Woerkoem of this parish has done the walk.

I sometimes think there should be page on the Forum dedicated to battlefield walks - starting point, finishing point, how to get there, refreshments, toilets, distance, what to see, hidden dangers (eg the farmer at Serre) map.  Just a thought.  I know that there is a school of thought that says if the walk has refreshments and proper toilets, then it is not a real battlefield walk, but I don't completely agree with that.

Edited by Hedley Malloch

Saxon 32.ID spearheaded the Georgette offensive from Armentières to Bailleul via Pont de Nieppe, and were relieved  by Prussian 35.ID on the nights of 10th-12th May 1918. They then took over the sector directly opposite the Nieppewald (north of Merville) from Prussian 48.RD over the nights of 29th May - 1st June. The unfortunate Saxons received the full force of the British counteroffensive, and were relieved by Prussian 39.ID over the nights of 29th June - 2nd July.

image.png.f68c88464b16bd5cfbc696e1ae21e0c8.png

2 hours ago, egbert said:

Do you have the map continuation to the left maybe? Much appreciated.

Unfortunately not - this was filed with my notes for the 1918 chapter of Fighting the Kaiser's War, and I cannot recall where I found it now.

On 17/01/2018 at 09:36, egbert said:

Neil, true words. did you happen to read my GFs story? You find the link in my signature line below.

The forest was gassed by the Germans almost daily, as the gas settled longer between the bushes and trees.

@Hedley - I did not know that the forest housed a V1 launch pad. Do you have the co-ordinates by chance? A plan of mentioned walk around?

Hi egbert I'm sorry I haven't read your grandfather's story would you have a link please as I'm really not the best on these computers finding information , Hedley many thanks for the walk tips and information much appreciated..Neil

On 19/01/2018 at 10:55, Neil... said:

Hi egbert I'm sorry I haven't read your grandfather's story would you have a link please as I'm really not the best on these computers finding information , Hedley many thanks for the walk tips and information much appreciated..Neil

Here we go:

On 19/01/2018 at 19:29, egbert said:

Here we go:

Egbert this looks incredible I will read my way through this thread what an awesome price of history..

28 minutes ago, Neil... said:

Egbert this looks incredible I will read my way through this thread what an awesome price of history..

Hi Neil...When you've read the book then have a look at the movie.........

Pete.

P.S. You may need to download Flash player to watch this, for some reason I'm not getting it to play although I've watched it lots of times.

21 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Hi Neil...When you've read the book then have a look at the movie.........

Pete.

P.S. You may need to download Flash player to watch this, for some reason I'm not getting it to play although I've watched it lots of times.

It fantastic to have so much history thankyou very much for the link and I'll read the book for sure , gentleman my uncle above was in the 1st devonshires and I believe they became the 5th/ 95th would there be a regiment photograph attainable or is this a long shot his numbers are 31227/ 4866 regards and thankyou ..

On ‎17‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 16:37, egbert said:

Do you have the map continuation to the left maybe? Much appreciated.

Hi

I believe the map was just a black and white part copy of the map in the OH Volume  3 of 1918, Chapter XI, see below.

Mike

WW1aeroplanecallID017.jpg.47840040ddcc7f3a8afa92b4b8e16e2e.jpg