Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Tank Men' a B.B.C documentary

Black Maria

I remember some years ago, at a militaria fair in Farnham, seeing a number of bound copies of both volumes of The Tanks at Flers for sale, plus boxes of unbound pages, all of which the vendor said had come from Trevor's widow.  Many's the time since then that I've regretted not buying a copy, and I somehow doubt that the Helion edition will be in the same generous format, with the appendix of excellent maps.

We in the ranks had never heard of tanks. We were told that there was some sort of secret weapon, and then we saw this thing go up the right-hand corner of Delville Wood. I saw this strange and cumbersome machine emerge from the shattered shrubbery and proceed slowly down the slope towards Flers.’

Lance Corporal Arnold Ridley, 6th Bn. Somerset Light Infantry

Trevor was chairman of my local WFA branch, a very modest man with absolutely nothing to be modest about. An accomplished and meticulous researcher. He would have been delighted that the book is being republished.

I have just watched this programme.

My impression is that it is roughly of the standard that would have been shown on a children's programme such as Blue Peter, in the 1960s.

Unsuitable for grown-ups. 

On Wednesday, September 14, 2016 at 07:54, Staffsyeoman said:

The programme had the feel of being made on the cheap by one of the regions for "local interest" which explains several key failings in the reconstruction parts. 

My only comment "Costume by Dressing Up Box".

Totally agree, sums it up in a nutshell! Made it to ten minutes in, then decided to follow the old Why Don't You kids programme advice. Could have been so much better. Missed opportunity! 

Jim

I could swear the characters playing Basil and George in the early part (Buffs) were vaping on e-cigerettes. George certainly puffed on a fag that produced no smoke. Basil had a peculiar way of holding a fag in a clenched fist and turning away and having an almighty tug on it as if he was smoking something more illicit.

I have noticed a peculiar astonishment from some people that WWI soldiers smoked fags --it was after all very bad for their health and didn't they know better?

Perhaps the Beeb is doing it's bit to promote a healthier lifestyle.

TEW

Lt. MacPherson MGC 4 Section gets a mention in the diary of 34 CCS GROVETOWN on 15/9/16.

TEW

Clipboard03.jpg

I must admit that after the first few minutes, seeing the awful job they had made of the casting and uniforms and being told that George had joined the

Royal East Kent Regiment, I was tempted to turn it over to watch 'Whatever Happened to the likely lads ?', again. I did find the bit about the ring made

from the shattered glass interesting , so on the whole I'm glad I stuck with it.

I was waiting for the Buffs capbadges to be replaced, at some stage, by MGC or TC badges. Was it possible for them to have retained those badges?

Most officers switched to the MGC or Tank Corps badge. However Arthur Inglis (a regular officer) wore the Glosters'Sphinx as late as Oct 17

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 23:15, delta said:

Most officers switched to the MGC or Tank Corps badge. However Arthur Inglis (a regular officer) wore the Glosters'Sphinx as late as Oct 17

Front, back, or both ?

inglis.jpg

I would assume both - although the only picture I have is of from the front and shows the Sphinx

Edited by delta

On 15/09/2016 at 12:50, horrocks said:

We in the ranks had never heard of tanks. We were told that there was some sort of secret weapon, and then we saw this thing go up the right-hand corner of Delville Wood. I saw this strange and cumbersome machine emerge from the shattered shrubbery and proceed slowly down the slope towards Flers.’

Lance Corporal Arnold Ridley, 6th Bn. Somerset Light Infantry

This was probably Dolphin on her way towards Gueudecourt

Good question; as a Regular officer attached to the tanks, he may have continued to wear his Glosters accoutrements thoughout 

• 3 years later...

I wondered who the Tank Commanders were on the 15th September and who the crew were?

I thought I had found a reference to these earlier, but now can't find it.

Edited by armypal
Missed some text.

23 minutes ago, armypal said:

I wondered who the Tank Commanders were on the 15th September and who the crew were?

I thought I had found a reference to these earlier, but now can't find it.

There is a comprehensive, but incomplete, list in Trevor Pidgeon's book, if that helps.

Thanks.Will try to find a copy Don.

Thanks Delta.It was very kind of you to find and post this for me.

It gives me a better understanding of the situation.

I've re read some of the earlier posts and think I may have found another local man who may have been injured in the FFI on the 15th but was certainly there. 

My pleasure. 

I developed the list from ongoing research. For example we know one male was called Crocodile but we have yet to work out who commanded her.  Hopefully this gap  and others, will be filled in time.

Edited by delta

Thanks Delta.

Now I just have to work out who the casualties were from the 9th Norfolk. 

A report turned up.on our village history site from someone who was there.

Little did I realise that his brother was killed there, whose name was among  I used to read on our War Memorial  as a small child.I certainly remember the ladies who were 'War Widows' 

'Lest We Forget '.

Edited by armypal
Missed text

2 hours ago, armypal said:

Now I just have to work out who the casualties were from the 9th Norfolk. 

I must get round to finishing this - I have accumulated information since on men who were wounded but survived, but it's a question of finding time to write it up rather than post piecemeal.

Are you referring to George Weavers or are there others from Diss you are interested in.

Cheers,

Peter