Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'The Land-Locked Lake' by Lt Col A. Hanbury-Sparrow

Old Harry

Does anyone know where I can get to look at a copy of this book, which is the memoirs of an officer who served in the Royal Berkshire Regiment in WWI?

The only copies I can find for sale are first editions in Australia at the best part of £400 each.
This is a bit outside my budget!

Roy.

not even an original!!! anything in particular regarding this book i do have a copy 

There's a copy of the 1977 re-issue on EBay for a mere £200.

Both rare & of outstanding quality. I'd certainly put it alongside A Passionate Prodigality & Devil in the Drum but then it's all down to personal preference.

I'm impressed since you elevate it go those ranks. I regard Devil in the Drum as the very best ranker's  acount From WW1. I did a little research on the author. Post war he became a teacher and later a headmaster, but I'm not aware if he wrote anything other the the Devil.

If anyone is interested in the B.E.F's 1914 campaign it has to be a " must read" .I just can't understand why it's never been reprinted since 1977,when

the author privately printed 500 copies in Australia , which he also numbered and signed.

Here is a pdf  http://www.purley.eu/RBR3171.pdf  that has a number of excerpts from the book. Hanbury-Sparrow has, let's say, a "quirky" sense of humor.                                                      

Dave

edit to post the actual website (in case you want to look at other Berkshire battalions): http://www.purley.eu/RBR3000.html

Edited by lostinspace

I once owned a copy of the 1977 reprint , it contained newspaper reviews of the original 1932 edition and a new introduction by the author with new

photographs. He had them printed in Thailand I believe and although the quality wasn't bad my copy had a blank text page . When I was lucky enough

to find an original copy ( signed and in it's jacket ) I sold the reprint for about £90, which would now appear to have been a bargain !

I bought an original, somewhat battered, copy two years ago for just over £70, It now looks like a bargain.

I'm afraid I come out bottom of the class here - I had to pay £250 for a jacketed copy of the original edition & not even a signature!

I should have realised that copies would be in libraries of legal deposit, and sure enough it is in a number of such places, including the British Library, Cambridge University and the Bodleian at Oxford.

Roy.

3 hours ago, Dust Jacket Collector said:

I'm afraid I come out bottom of the class here - I had to pay £250 for a jacketed copy of the original edition & not even a signature!

Not expensive when you consider you may never see another jacketed copy again, I paid £200 for mine in 2010 and it's worth every penny .

• 2 years later...

I am Angela Laughton, the daughter of Lt Col Hanbury-Sparrow and
I have the original book with pencilled corrections and I have the
subsequent book which I am in the process of completing ready
for printing.

http://www.thelandlockedlake.com/

I hope to have the printable copy ready by the end of July 2019.

5 hours ago, TruthQuest911 said:

for printing.

Excellent news. Thank you. Will it be a decent print run, do you think, or subscription-only?

5 hours ago, TruthQuest911 said:

I think you'll get a good few orders from those on this forum.

I look forward to seeing it available.

Derek.

6 hours ago, TruthQuest911 said:

for printing.

Not sure what to expect from this news having just visited the above mentioned website!!

That's, how shall I put this, an interesting website. 

I went into the website, too.  Made my head spin, so I left it well alone. Looking forward to the book, though.